Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins documentary(RTE 2)

Options
  • 06-01-2009 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch this last night?The interview with the American preacher was priceless,especially when he berates Dawkins for his percieved arrogance then informs him "you could be great like me"if he shared his beliefs.Then the islamic nutter ranting about whores and topless women on the telivision.Its funny how muslim converts are often the most extremist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

There's a good discussion about the program going on here that may interest you as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Religion :rolleyes:

Couldn't watch it last night I whole heartedly agree with him when he says that religion is the 'root' of all evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I have little time for Dawkins.

Most of the time he comes across confrontational and aloof, some of which is imagined by the viewer, some of which is very much real. In some cases this is well warranted, but his popularity only serves to hinder inter-belief dialogue as he in part contributes to an image of atheists that is held by many religious, moderate and agnostic people - where they are some sort of elitist club that wants simply to attack religion.

That he has become the de facto spokesperson for atheism and that in itself is completely misleading, as most atheists seem to be less miliant and more moderate in their langauge and treatment of other belief systems. I know some would say he is simply putting across his beliefs, but as a figure-head in his community as well as the scientific community he needs to be held to a higher standard, in a simliar sense to how church leaders are.
    I doubt Channel 4 or the like would fund a simliarily miliant Christian Cardinal roving around and choosing 'suitable' guests and presenting 'gottcha's', for example.

I'm not huge supporter of organised religion myself, but in many important ways Dawkins and his ilke make an inteligently secular society - which enevitably must find a worthwhile place for religion - a harder to attain goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Hi,

Missed this tonight, anyone know if it's repeated at all?

Thanks,

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

jack24 wrote: »
    Hi,

Missed this tonight, anyone know if it's repeated at all?

Thanks,

Jack
    +1

Seen the first ten minutes, but couldnt watch anymore, damn Emmerdale loving backstards in my house!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mm60631

I missed it also + Don't know if it is to be repeated on RTE.

But it is available to watch online:

Part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9002284641446868316

Part 2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7619161192220036050

:):):)

darkdubh wrote: »
    especially when he berates Dawkins for his percieved arrogance

But he is arrogant. As arrogant and boring as those he targets. Though he might have made a few more bucks out of the whole thing than the preacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Dawkins FTW.

Advertisement