Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning A product to Argos

Options
  • 06-01-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I bought a Philips Micro Theater System from Argos back In June. The bass speaker connection recently has stopped working.

It wasn't a great system so I want to bring it back for a refund.

Am I within my consumer rights to ask for a refund, even though Argos only has a 30 day money back guarantee?

I need the money anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The goods must be fit for the purpose that they were intended. Sounds like they are not. Therefore you are entitled to a refund by law, under the sales of goods acts. The additional 30 day thing is just a 'bonus', not a replacement for your rights under the legislation.

So, from what you say, it sounds like you are entitled to a refund of your money. You do not have to accept a credit note or replacement goods. You can insist on a full refund.

If you have any hassle in getting a refund, write them a letter threatening the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You might be better off in the Consumer Issues forum, but I think the choice is a refund, repair or replacement. Strangely, the last link below says that the legislation doesn't cover whose choice that is.

Some links here:

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

I thought that was the law but I just wanted to make sure, I'll return it when I get a chance. I paid for it with my Dads creidt card so will I have to present the card aswel as the receipt? Thanks for the speedy reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Argos would be within their rights not to replace the goods or give a refund at this point.
    They must accept the item for repair. If this cannot be carried out within a reasonable length of time, then they have to offer a replacement or a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

argos tend to be very easy with what they take back. probably because stuff gets tossed around their warehouse so much they get a lot of broken stuff. they can't be arsed repairing them either as that would involve bringing that particular unit back to you and its easier to throw them onto a pile and deal with it in their own time. i don't think they are overly pushed about the 30 days either

• Advertisement
Advertisement