Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next generation of netbooks?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a netbook and I am looking very closely at the new Samsung offering but I am wondering are there any better offerings over the next few months? I hear rumblings of a new eee pc?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a new eee pc released every day of the week, i think they will have a tablet eeepc in the future but tbh, i dont know whether i'd want a tablet for everyday usage, they might be a good gimmick, but in the long run i'd say they'd be very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I am in the market for a netbook and I am looking very closely at the new Samsung offering but I am wondering are there any better offerings over the next few months? I hear rumblings of a new eee pc?

Why bother with the NC20? The NC10 is a much smarter buy - better battery life, cheaper & lighter with the exact same specs. Only 'downside' is the screen is 2" smaller but because it's a netbook, that's not a negative - it's a good thing.

Until battery life improves drastically, the NC10 will remain king of netbooks - much like the nokia 6310 is still king of mobile phones with businessmen and taxi drivers - battery life is unrivaled.

Netbooks today are like mobile phones 10 years ago. They do the job, however they are going to get more powerful and have more gadgets at the expense of battery life. Is it worth it? No - because they're netbooks, not laptops - they're not meant to be powerful beasts.

A netbook should be smaller, do basic tasks well and crush their laptop cousins when it comes to weight, size and battery life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A big +1 to the battery life. It simply has to improve greatly, and that's not saying they should add more cells to the battery becuase that will end up making your light netbook into a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

smemon wrote: »
    Why bother with the NC20? The NC10 is a much smarter buy - better battery life, cheaper & lighter with the exact same specs. Only 'downside' is the screen is 2" smaller but because it's a netbook, that's not a negative - it's a good thing.

Until battery life improves drastically, the NC10 will remain king of netbooks - much like the nokia 6310 is still king of mobile phones with businessmen and taxi drivers - battery life is unrivaled.

Netbooks today are like mobile phones 10 years ago. They do the job, however they are going to get more powerful and have more gadgets at the expense of battery life. Is it worth it? No - because they're netbooks, not laptops - they're not meant to be powerful beasts.

A netbook should be smaller, do basic tasks well and crush their laptop cousins when it comes to weight, size and battery life.

Nc10 it is. 7 hours is good stuff :D. Whats it like while actually using it?

My dad has one, and its a lovely machine, the only thing i dont like about it is the trackpad, but you'd get used to it fairly fast. The samsung is the best netbook out there at the moment, and i can't see things improving all that much in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

link

link

link

I can see 2009 to be the year of the netbook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

swingking wrote: »
    link

link

link

I can see 2009 to be the year of the netbook

2008 was the year of the netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It seems you will have to wait till the end of the year to get your hands on the next generation Intel processor:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Here's another severe warping of the spacetime continuum caused by the financiapocalypse: Notebook makers want Intel to delay its crazyfast Nehalem-based mobile CPUs and chipsets. In other words, they want notebooks to be slower, longer.

The Calpella platform is scheduled for launch in July or August, just like Montevina (aka Centrino 2) did earlier this year. But, because the Centrino 2 notebooks haven't sold like hotcakes or any other kind of delicious breakfast pastry thanks to the economy and netbooks, notebook makers want more time to dump inventory. So, they want to see Calpella and its Nehalem CPUs (aka Core i7 on the desktops) in October instead of the summer, meaning you've got a wait another few months to get your hands on all the zoomzoom power of Nehalem in a notebook. Laaaame.

Article and Nehalem info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Doesn't the 901 have a very similar battery life to the NC10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Yeah but screen is an inch smaller and its not as nicely designed ...it does have wireless N though but otherwise NC10 is winner all round.

• Advertisement

901 also has a relatively poor keyboard, the nc10 on the other hand has a very impressive keyboard for it's size.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

2008 was the year of the netbook.
    2008 was the year that the first wave and very early second wavers started using them. 2009 will have every jack charlie buying one and all the geek mags will be talking about it being "the year the net book became ubiquitous/came of age". They'll declare 2009 the year of the netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

The Asus 1000HE has a chiclet keyboard and 9hr battery. Probably the best buy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The Asus 1000HE has a chiclet keyboard and 9hr battery. Probably the best buy at the moment

And how is that a good thing??? :confused:

Advertisement