Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding a buyer for your songs

Options
  • 06-01-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hey all iv been wondering this alot iv been writing music consistently for about 10 years in all styles and genres.im just wondering where can i go that someone might see them and think oh i'd like to record that song would i have to record them first??because im not a singer i play guitar and write thats it:D:D so any ideas would be appreciated greatly

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I know zilch of any part of music production, promotion or even trying to expand a song from simply written and worded (outline?) but I did have a question for you: Would you only sell a song? Or would you be happy to hand a tune over to an interested party to do with as they wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

humberklog wrote: »
    I know zilch of any part of music production, promotion or even trying to expand a song from simply written and worded (outline?) but I did have a question for you: Would you only sell a song? Or would you be happy to hand a tune over to an interested party to do with as they wish?

it depends who the interested party was and what exactly the song ended up like!!i wouldn't want a bastard child version of a song iv made haha

Really? Janey I'd give free riegn. I always like the line in Seinfeld when George complains to Gerry about something compromising his artistic credibility and Gerry replies "George: your not artistic and you've no credibility."

humberklog wrote: »
    Really? Janey I'd give free riegn. I always like the line in Seinfeld when George complains to Gerry about something compromising his artistic credibility and Gerry replies "George: your not artistic and you've no credibility."

well i mean i wouldn't mind them changing the music its just lyrics kinda sit well as they are you know maybe id let them try use it in there own way then have final say as to weather they could release it:o:o

Fair play for personal integrity.

I just think that when I leave this place and reflect I'll realise that sluts have more fun than puritans.

John Betjamin when asked if he had any regrets in life he said he wished he'd slept with more women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 IsraelShalom

A song is not a song until it has been sang in public or recorded . Put up a webpage with your songs . It is so easy and cheap to record nowadays , get someone to sing them and stick them on a site where singers can find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

A song is not a song until it has been sang in public or recorded . Put up a webpage with your songs . It is so easy and cheap to record nowadays , get someone to sing them and stick them on a site where singers can find them

I Second that...
    find someone with a good digital home recording machine, someone who knows how to use it.
    Find someone to sing your songs well for you..
    See if that person will perform with you at open mic's/songwriter nights

Send out demo's..first though mail yourself a demo & keep it somewhere unopened
    (postmark =cheapo copyrighting)

Get some good information for yourself about sending demo's..You need to put a good promo pack together.

Target your material to publishers/artists fitting of your genre

Sign NOTHING...EVER, without legal advice.

Understand that if you DO get something picked up that as an unknown artist, you won't really have much bargaining power in relation to the production/arrangement of your song..don't get too hung up on that..

Best advice I ever heard:
    30% of something is better than 100% of nothing, so keep that in mind. Until 'they' are knocking at your door at least!:D

Join a good songwriters group..."it ain't what ya know..." Contacts could lead anywhere...

My local songwriters group is very good, one of the co-ordinator's songs got picked up by some well known female artist (I can't remember who right now...damn!!)

Get out there, make yourself known in the writers circle & it will lead you places

Check out www.billpere.com for advice re attracting attention to yourself via internet
    Check out IMRO...see if you can register as a songwriter.

Good Luck!!!!
    P.S.....PLEASE let us know if you get any brakes & of course pass the experience along;)

well im in the process of going into the local recording studio but im finding it difficult picking witch songs as i write and play in many genres you see:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

You don't actually want to sell the rights to your songs do you? :confused:

Look what happened to that guy from Dublin that wrote 'Angels'.. he got 10 grand whilst Robbie Williams ended up with an 80 million recording contract - his album was dying a death before that song was released. I wouldn't recommend selling the rights of your music. You'll be paid royalties on your songs if they're recorded by someone that sells.

You're looking at artists that don't record their only material.. some folkies and a lot of pop acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Also make sure you copyright your music before giving it to anyone to record. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Elder Roche

cufroige wrote: »
    I Second that...
    find someone with a good digital home recording machine, someone who knows how to use it.
    Find someone to sing your songs well for you..
    See if that person will perform with you at open mic's/songwriter nights

Send out demo's..first though mail yourself a demo & keep it somewhere unopened
    (postmark =cheapo copyrighting)

Get some good information for yourself about sending demo's..You need to put a good promo pack together.

Target your material to publishers/artists fitting of your genre

Sign NOTHING...EVER, without legal advice.

Understand that if you DO get something picked up that as an unknown artist, you won't really have much bargaining power in relation to the production/arrangement of your song..don't get too hung up on that..

Best advice I ever heard:
    30% of something is better than 100% of nothing, so keep that in mind. Until 'they' are knocking at your door at least!:D

Join a good songwriters group..."it ain't what ya know..." Contacts could lead anywhere...

My local songwriters group is very good, one of the co-ordinator's songs got picked up by some well known female artist (I can't remember who right now...damn!!)

Get out there, make yourself known in the writers circle & it will lead you places

Check out www.billpere.com for advice re attracting attention to yourself via internet
    Check out IMRO...see if you can register as a songwriter.

Good Luck!!!!
    P.S.....PLEASE let us know if you get any brakes & of course pass the experience along;)

I would like to join a very decent songwriting group. Do they exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Put your songs up on a myspace page -its free
    Join IMRO
    Go to sessions
    Go to Open Mic nights
    Get to know musicians
    Go to gigs
    Listen to great music
    Read Hot Press small ads
    Go to festivals
    What Cufroige said

You mightn't be a singer song writer but if just one of your songs is good enough - its great fun watching others do things with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Join Songlinks or International Songwritier Association. They offer leads to known and unknown artists looking for material.
    I joined ISA when i was younger but had no way to record my songs at the time so i can't say how good they are. I've not joined Songlinks but from what i've seen they seem to be a good option (though not having joined i can't confirm that) but sure check them out if your serious about placing your music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 justiceforall

bush Baby wrote: »
    Put your songs up on a myspace page -its free
    Join IMRO
    Go to sessions
    Go to Open Mic nights
    Get to know musicians
    Go to gigs
    Listen to great music
    Read Hot Press small ads
    Go to festivals
    What Cufroige said

You mightn't be a singer song writer but if just one of your songs is good enough - its great fun watching others do things with them!!
    To join IMRO as a writer,applicants must fulfil one of the following criteria
    and also provide proof that they qualify for membership
    The criteria are:
    1 That at least one of your musical works has been commercially recorded
    (proof required is a photocopy of the CD inlay card,containing a barcode/catalogue number and the applicants name as a composer/author
    or evidence of a commercially available download of original material).
    or
    2 That at least one of your musical works has been broadcast in the last two years (proof required is a letter on headed notepaper from the producer/presenter of the radio or television show confirming that your musical work was broadcast)
    or
    3 That at least one of your musical works has been performed live in a
    public place on at least twelve occasions within the last two years(proof required is a letter on headed note paper from a venue owner/manager/
    promoter confirming that your musical work was performed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 justiceforall

caesura wrote: »
    Join Songlinks or International Songwritier Association. They offer leads to known and unknown artists looking for material.
    I joined ISA when i was younger but had no way to record my songs at the time so i can't say how good they are. I've not joined Songlinks but from what i've seen they seem to be a good option (though not having joined i can't confirm that) but sure check them out if your serious about placing your music.
    :)I'm a songwriter and a member of ISA for 4 years.I send all my songs to there demo service. When my songs come back from same i really don't
    believe there my songs at first because of the arrangment and vocals ect.

Advertisement