Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking, East or West

Options
  • 05-01-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all!

I have a bit issue somebody might be able to help me with!

My girlfriend and I have been saving for quite a while to go round the world backpacking. We plan to go this summer, June/July. The basic outline of trip will be China/Japan, South East Asia, Australia/New Zealand and South America.

The problem is we don't know whether to Asia or South America first!

Here is what I have so far!
    - I believe it is the rainy season in SE Asia around that time would be better to go to South America first.
    - I know that Asia will be a lot cheaper and therefore would be better to do that bit last.

- A lot of people recommend going to Asia first because it is, by several accounts, a bit safer than South America. The idea being that we will have gained quite a bit of backpacking experience before we get to the most dangerous part of our trip.
    - If we manage to still have some money at the end of our journey, and we are in South America, we would try to squeeze in some of the States before heading home.

Does anybody have any other arguments for me to consider?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!:D

Advertisement