Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Books

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi Guys Im wondering is there any good poker books available?? I be looking for more story telling ones?

Im waiting of Phil Hellmuth's "How to Play poker Like A Pro". Looking forward to reading that one:D:DAny one else have Phils Book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

As far as Poker Story books go I found The Professor, the Banker and the Suicide King to be pretty ok. If you havent read it and want a copy send me a pm with your address and ill send you my copy as I have finished with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Ghosts at the table by Des Wilson is a pretty good read

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Amarillo Slim in a World of Fat people is worth a squint.

I also have a spare copy of Swimming with the Devilfish if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Get In There

ciarán i'll take it :-) i'll send u a pm with my addy

• Advertisement

ciarán i'll take it :-) i'll send u a pm with my addy

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

What About Bio's?? Any Good Ones?

"The man behind the shades" by Dalla Nolan is pretty good . The guys were speaking about Jesse Mays book "Shut up and deal" the other night and said it was worth a read but I havent read it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

hi i have a copy of "Ghosts at the table" .........bubble prize in the local one night.
    i did have 2 copies of "poker tells by mad mike" but both seem to have gotten a pair of legs from somewhere and walked.
    so if anyone would do a swap for above for the one below it id be grateful.
    live in tallaght 2 min from sq.
    pm if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

"Swimming with the devilfish" is biographies/interviews with a lot of the British players, not just devilfish.

"Aces and Kings" by Michael Kaplan is similar for American players.

I also enjoyed "Ace on the river" by Barry Greenstein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

Cancel your order for Phil's book if you can. Possibly the worst I've ever read.:eek:

Barry Greinsteins is a decent bio. Lots of nice pictures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

Does anyone have any recommendations for book and STT's a quick search on amazon came up with ones by Moshman, Phil Shaw and Neil Timothy - has anyone used any of these?

havent bought any STT books but i hear moshman's book is very good.

Mullicker wrote: »
    Cancel your order for Phil's book if you can. Possibly the worst I've ever read.:eek:

Disappointed at hearing that. Whats so bad about it??

Is there alot about how 2 play poker, and different plays??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RevealPoker

Ace on the River is excellent, a really good read, but insightful as well. Not to mention the cracking pictures. I wouldn't read another Hellmuth book if you paid me a lot of monies.

Btw, I've a lot of spare poker books , don't read them anymore, pm for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Stu Ungars biography is brilliant, the story of a genius but also a complete and utter degenerate, it could hardly not have been good with the sheer amount of material they had to work with. Well worth a read, really shows the ups and downs of poker is a very extreme way

Anyone here ever read Phil Iveys Book??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mullicker
    Cancel your order for Phil's book if you can. Possibly the worst I've ever read.

Disappointed at hearing that. Whats so bad about it??

Is there alot about how 2 play poker, and different plays??

Its a long time since i read it, but the limit holdem section was a complete joke, he basically says only play 88+ AQ AK and play them all exactly the same way from what i remember. The NL limit section i cant really remember too much. The Omaha 8 section was pretty crappy also. Phil blows his own trumpet throughout! terrible book!! It may be actually more detrimental than helpful to your poker development. Read the theory of poker if you really want to learn holdem. Also Harringtons books. I enjoyed Barry Greinsteins for just entertainment more than strategy but there is good advice in there to.

Advertisement