Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some B+W for C&C

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Havn't been very active with photos lately. Havn't been on Boards much either. Here are a couple of B+W conversions I've been messing with. Still havn't got post-processing right yet.

Thanks gang.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

First one is a hell of a lot more appealing than the second.

Try playing about with contrast adjustment layers to pop out the tones in the sky and the whites in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would like to see them "harder" - higher contrast.
    Nice pictures though. Well seen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye the whites aren't quite white

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Fajitas! wrote: »
    First one is a hell of a lot more appealing than the second.

Is that a nice way of saying they both suck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

For me is the second one a little too much describing, carrying a lot of information with a little lack of awakening my personal interest. The first one provokes more emotions, therefore is more interesting (for me).

• Advertisement

Lol!

No, not at all, I'm saying that the first one appeals to me more than the second one. The second one wouldn't hold much interest for me, but there's a lot of potential in the first, it just needs a better conversion to bring out the best of it!

Lol!

No, not at all, I'm saying that the first one appeals to me more than the second one. The second one wouldn't hold much interest for me, but there's a lot of potential in the first, it just needs a better conversion to bring out the best of it!

Thanks, I'll post the original tomorrow; it's a less than ideal capture but I think B+W could save it from the Recycle Bin. I've also dodged and burned a little to bring out the blacks and whites; again, I'll post tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help...I never really seem to know when to apply post-processing, and how much of it to use. It's kinda like my new years resolution. Thanks all.

I'm procrastinating, mind if I feic about with what you posted up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

I like the first one better than the second one. But, both are well composed and interesting subjects.

I think that the sky is blown out a bit in both, and i would try to increase the contast in the sky, make it more dramatic.

The first shot could be excellent with a bit of work on the balance of the whites and blacks

I'm procrastinating, mind if I feic about with what you posted up there?

Not at all, you don't have to ask me man. Fire away. Or I could send a RAW of the original if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shantel22

Wow, amazing shots!! I love Black & White pictures 2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

I like the pics especially the 1st one but there too dark IMO

Okay guys here's a rework. The points you've made about burn-out are being hammered home right now! Not sure how to get around it...if I'm upping the contrast, it just makes the cliffs darker.

3170817593_7b23085d96.jpg

I was cheeky and did a quick job on the low res one last night, will upload it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi Paul - welcome back (whats been keepin ya!).

The first I can't see and the second I think is ok. It is not unlike many of the B/W conversions that I do myself which I would be critical of in terms of the lack of contrast. Had been meaning to post a thread on it to see how do you know that something will make for a good black and white conversion. i.e. do similar shades of colour make for a poor quality b/w conversion. Your second image I would think doesn't 'pop' enough - the resulting shades of grey IMHO are too close to make for it to be a visually interesting.

On the negative side, from a thread moderation point of view the 2nd image is too big for posting inline - it breaks the charter's 800px on longest side rule. I'm altering it to a link but feel free to edit and insert something that doesn't go more than 800px on the longest side. We've people viewing on mobile phones (myself included from time to time), netbooks, etc... so >800px can kill such connections (let alone the mobile phone bills).

Just seen the first repost. A pleasant scene captured and its nice but i'd agree with the poster that said it was quite dark. Try it with a black or white inch thick border and see how it looks for you to get the impression of if it were mounted in a fame.

Cheers.

Advertisement