Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes, great way to quit but be careful!!!

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just some thoughts seeing as we are in the midst of the 'quit smoking season'. I have been using E-Cigarettes for a while now and have found them a very helpful tool. Friends of mine have also jumped on board lately with varying degrees of success. I have concluded that reason e-cigs (and other nicotine replacemnent therapy for that matter) are good for some and not others is as follows-

Will Power- there is no magic wand! The first step to quiting is to realise that tobacco IS a killer that you have to stop using if you want to remain healthy. I have 2 relations who smoked and got cancer and they have told me that the new it was bad for them but always had the opinion that they would give up before it did them harm, they then spent years trying to give up but never quite got round to it. I realised when I heard that story that I was on the same path. In short there is no easy way, you have to want it. I saw an feature on e-cigarettes online and did some research and bought 2 different types- A I bought a 'Gamucci' and a 'Quik Quit' a so this brings me to the second reason to be careful if you decide to quit with the help[ of e-cigs-

Quality and safety- I was willing to give e-cigs a go but a little ironically I was worried about health and safety (ironic because I have been smoking for 10 years knowing the danger!!), I inquired to both companies about this and received details testing and certification from myeasyquit.com who supplied me with the 'Quik Quit' devise which I preferred not least because it looked like a real cigarette where as the 'Gamucci' looked a little like a pen and was quite large. I have a couple friend who have purchased different brands and they have not been very good in terms of 'vapor' production, battery life and appearance, they do also did not have and certifications. This is why believe people who are interested should be careful and make sure that if they are going down this road to do some research go for the better items that have been certified and not just for the cheapest.

I really think quitting is a different experience for everybody, some can wake up one morning and say 'thats it I'm off them' and never look back, some use nicotine replacement. I have tried sooo many times and thought just because I'd paid for the hypnosis or gum that I had done my bit! The truth is your head should be in the right place first, you have to want to quit. This is also why I think e-cigarettes work for me because even though I wanted to quit I also liked smoking especially with a few drinks in me and so many past attempts had run a ground on what I call '3 pint reef' with the e-fag I can avoid this and even after using it for a while now I find I don't need it during the day at all and only use it in 'emergencies'

So good luck to all my fellow quitters, and if you are not sure you will be able to quit put 'effects of smoking' into google for a little encouragement!!! Sorry about the long post but this is somthing that is very (excuse the pun) close to my heart and hope it might help others in some small way.

Advertisement