Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 1000D?!

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Alright this is the final deciding one.

And at the moment i really can't chose between the two.
    Should i get a Nikon D40 or a Canon EOS 1000D.
    I've looked up dpreview.com and checked out many youtube reviews but all they say is that they're both really good cameras and you won't go wrong with them. So it really didn't help me much to make a proper decision on which one to go for...

About the D40:
    Its €100 cheaper than the Canon.
    It looks very basic and easy to use and learn on.
    I herd its 18-55 kit lens is much better than Canon's kit lens.
    But then it looks a little too basic to me that i feel i might get bored of it after a while.

About the Canon:
    It seems to have a lot more features than the Nikon.
    I like the way you can connect it and use it with your computer (though right now i'm not sure how and when i'll use it, but i think it might be handy).
    It has a Live View LCD which although i herd might not be all that useful but might be handy for some adventurous shots.
    But this one is €100 more expensive and i herd its kit lens is not that great.

Now this is gonna be my first DSLR and i'm not gonna buy another one for another year or something till i learn and improve my photographic skills on these ones and then i can move to something bigger.
    I don't think i'll be buying that many lenses either. I might just buy a low light lens but that'll probably be it.

So right now i can't decide which way to go. I think i like canons more but i don't really have a reason for it. I know i won't regret getting a Nikon or a Canon. I'll probably be traveling into town tomorrow to check out the two cameras and try out their "feel" though i don't think its gonna radically effect my decision.

Well, i've gotta decide this soon cuz the €40 cash back thing ends on the 12th and i need to buy my camera before that if i'm going with the Canon.

So what do you guys think i should go with. The D40 or the EOS 1000D??
    This is gonna be my final thread on which camera to go for and after this one if i post a thread, it'll be a photograph i've taken with my new camera!
    So guys, help me here please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You seem to have more aspirations towards the Canon. Go for it.

If the Nikon being 100 quid cheaper is your biggest worry, then it's not a real quaim, trust me :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You seem to have more aspirations towards the Canon. Go for it.

If the Nikon being 100 quid cheaper is your biggest worry, then it's not a real quaim, trust me :p

<waves fist in anger>

d40 also very good, tis better IMO, but lack of internal af is a bit troublesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

About the Canon:

I like the way you can connect it and use it with your computer (though right now i'm not sure how and when i'll use it, but i think it might be handy)

You can do the same with the D40 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Nikon d60 is only £315 on warehouse express. Thats a far better camera then those two

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is it? Oh, go for the D60 then - That camera keeps on impressing me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is a software package that will allow you to interface with a computer. A friend has it but I cannot remember the name as I do not have a reason to use it at the moment. There is also some free software that does a similar job. There is a thread on here somewhere.

**MOD*** Rather than starting a new thread for each question or nuance, it's preferable to update a previous thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

landyman wrote: »
    Nikon d60 is only £315 on warehouse express. Thats a far better camera then those two

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D60-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-XS-1000D.shtml

For me the 1000D pips it.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

We got a cannon 450D at work and an 18 to55 lens and already I can see the draw back with the lens its a good portrait camera but the lens is very limiting so my advice would be to get a good lens at the start .
    The camera is good but dont take the standard lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The EOS 1000D body only is for £280 and with a non IS 18-55 lens its for £290 and with an IS 18-55 lens its £340 at parkcameras.co.uk.

So do you think it'ld be a better idea to get the 1000D with the non IS lens (as its only £10 more than the body only) to get started with something and then later buy a better lens or is the IS thing worth the extra £50??

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

It doesn't matter what camera you get, as long as it's canon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

IS on Canon or VR on Nikon (same thing) is quite nice to have. It compensates for some camera shake & allows you to get sharp images at slower shutter speeds. Makes more difference in longer lenses.

If you have the extra 50 quid then go for it. Remember that it's always advisable to have at least a UV Filter for your lens. A spare battery (non genuine is cheaper) & a good quality memory card are also worth getting, though these can be bought seperate from the camera.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sasar wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what camera you get, as long as it's Nikon.

so true

***MOD*** I know it's in jest .... but can we please avoid the old tribal jibes. Thanks.

CabanSail wrote: »
    IS on Canon or VR on Nikon (same thing) is quite nice to have. It compensates for some camera shake & allows you to get sharp images at slower shutter speeds. Makes more difference in longer lenses.

If you have the extra 50 quid then go for it. Remember that it's always advisable to have at least a UV Filter for your lens. A spare battery (non genuine is cheaper) & a good quality memory card are also worth getting, though these can be bought seperate from the camera.

Thanks for that.
    I think i can get all the filters, spare batteries, memory cards and all the other accessories from any store once i get the camera.
    I'll be getting a 4gb sd card with it which i think should be enough for me...

I think i'll go with the EOS 1000D. It has the few extra features which i think would come handy at times. The D40 looks a little too basic for me...
    The D60 is pretty much the same price as the 1000D so i think i'll stick with the 1000D.

Oh and would you think the IS is useful for the 18-55 kit lens?
    I think the EOS has an internal stabiliser too doesn't it?
    I'ld quite like to save the £50 and maybe get a filter or something with it instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Gotta love the camera flame wars :)

For what it's worth I own a D40... and after 2 years with it I am definitely not bored with it.

Here's 3 I took from my trip to San Fran:
    4D44A1CB86A040678B2B0D97D56003A0-500.jpg
    33D143A555CB423B808B7D435C09F32A-500.jpg
    26D5DA21DDE84324B7E88B24A21A4C01-500.jpg
    Though I have better lenses these were all taken with the 18-55

Can the Canon do that? Most probably. In fact I'm pretty sure any dSLR available today can produce these images - so my advice is get the one that feels good in your hand (and is ergonomic) and stop worrying about brick walls and noise levels and start shooting :)

OP I've read a few times that the kit Canon 18-55 kit lense WITH IS is also a slightly better lens than the non IS version, IQ apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Here's 3 I took from my trip to San Fran:

Number 2 is lovely by the way

sasar wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what camera you get, as long as it's not a nikon or a canon.

Dead right :>

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Can the Canon do that? Most probably. In fact I'm pretty sure any dSLR available today can produce these images - so my advice is get the one that feels good in your hand (and is ergonomic) and stop worrying about brick walls and noise levels and start shooting :)

Those are some pretty cool pictures!
    I guess there's not much difference in both the cameras and as i stated before i don't think i'ld regret getting either.

I went into a store today to check out how they both feel and tbh i didn't feel much of a difference. I was expecting the Nikon to feel a lot more comfortable as i herd it has better ergonomics but i think i liked the canon more...just very very slightly. I'ld be fine with either one i think.

I think i like the few extra features on the 1000D to play with so i think i'll go with that. I think i'll get the IS lens too...

In which case have fun with the Canon and go take some pictures (I preferred the grip on the D40 to the 400D back in the day when I bought my camera).

• Advertisement

Wise choice OP, in a few weeks when you are well used to it you will be delighted you spent the little bit extra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The nikon has no AF motor(or something like that)so if you get into photography and want to get a 50mm f/1.8 (great all rounder lens)you will have to use the manual focus,where as the canon has an Af motor and therefore will autofocus will all AF lens compatible with canon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ricky91t wrote: »
    The nikon has no AF motor(or something like that)so if you get into photography and want to get a 50mm f/1.8 (great all rounder lens)you will have to use the manual focus,where as the canon has an Af motor and therefore will autofocus will all AF lens compatible with canon

No Ricky, Canon has no motor in the body, they are all in the (EOS) lenses, as there is no mechanical contact between lens and body you cant use the older type (FD) Canon lenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

The newer nikon lenses lenses use a similar system, its the older lenses affected by the lack of the focus motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in the same position about 6 months ago, and when push came to shove, the D40 just fitted my hand better.

I must admit though, that I am feeling the limitations of the kit lens (18 - 55mm). So a longer zoom lens will be my next major purchase (whenever that will be).

I highly recommend the 55-200mm VR. Perfect compliment for the 18-55.

and yes all Canon cameras do not have an autofocus motors in body - but the lenses all have motors in them - they switched in the 70's(?) I believe (or maybe that was the switch from the old mount to new mount).

Nikon has kept the F-mount from the beginning so a larger collection of lenses are available to be used but some current lenses do not have a motor built in and rely on screw-drive AF (which the D40 does not have).

They did just release a 50mm f1.4 AFS though. And Sigma have their 50 f1.4 and 30mm f1.4 lens too.

edit: oh and all new lenses that Nikon has released (bar one or two PCE lenses) have been AFS and will work perfectly fine with the D40-->--D3x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VeyronMick

VeyronMick wrote: »
    With a pinch of salt maybe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I got a D40 and, although I love it, I really wish I spent a bit more and got the D60. More megapixels and built in AF, neither of which are crucial but they're certainly worth the extra few quid.

spav wrote: »
    I got a D40 and, although I love it, I really wish I spent a bit more and got the D60. More megapixels and built in AF, neither of which are crucial but they're certainly worth the extra few quid.

D60 dose not have built in af either

• Advertisement

spav wrote: »

D60 has no built in af.....

Advertisement