Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a restaraunt for lunch in KK city?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi, looking to organise a family lunch in kilkenny for a family group.

Have received recomendations for Zumi and Champagne (not sure of spellings) -Anyone any opinions on these, or have any alternatvie suggestions?

So far advised no Italian, Indian, Chinese - love organising these family occasions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

no Italian, Indian, Chinese???

Can't remember what its called but there is a seafood restaurant just off dean st. I don't know the street names very well but if you know where the set of traffic lights are just before the shop on dean st, just where the traffic lights are on the corner is the seafood restaurant. It use to be a chinese before I think. - I don't like seafood so unfort I can't tell you if its any good.

Otherwise - Langtons - I've not eaten there before but assume It'd be ok to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Zuni and Campagne are both a bit on the pretentious side for me. If you like pretentious though, that's fine!

Langtons is great but apparently it can be quite busy at lunchtime.

Ripley's would get my vote. It's very reasonably priced, service is good and the food is delicious. Not 100% sure if they open for lunch though. :pac:

Edit: According to this site: http://www.findarestaurant.ie/restaurantdetail.asp?restID=2606, they are only open for lunch at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Zuni or Ripley's would be my recommendation. Both are lovely restaurants but Zuni is pricier. I would avoid Langtons at lunch as its crazy busy most days and the food is hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like Foodworks in gas house lane for lunch. Small enough place but its nice. I like the steak at Ripleys as mentioned above but any time I've been there service took absolutely ages but the food was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

+1 again for Ripleys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I was in Zuni's recently and it was delicious. I went with a group of friends to the early bird and it was good value. Was a bit prententious but what the hey, when you are paying that bit more I expect someone to pull my chair out for me :D

I heard that the restaurant above the Hibernian is meant to be fantastic and highly recommended. Did it used to be Jacob's Ladder or something? It's changed it's name anyway and meant to be top notch. Was only told that at the weekend actually by friends that went last week.

Best of luck with organising the right place :)

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Cafe Sol......just YUM

Otherwise - Langtons - I've not eaten there before but assume It'd be ok to eat in.

nah, that's like feeding time on the farm... wouldnt go there again for a nice dinner, well, not on a sat night anyway. Very, very busy and food was OK but not amazing! Wasnt cheap either! They had a set menu which didnt offer a great variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Thanks for all the suggestions - its for a 60th bday so a bit pretentious is Ok cos we'd like her to feel we are making it somewhat special. One thing is that we'll have a 2yr old with us - could this pose an issue in Zunis??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ripley's here, been thetre a few times and excellent service, abit pricey depending on what your buying but recommend it anyway

• Advertisement

what2do wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions - its for a 60th bday so a bit pretentious is Ok cos we'd like her to feel we are making it somewhat special. One thing is that we'll have a 2yr old with us - could this pose an issue in Zunis??

oooh, definitely Zuni's if you want to meke her feel special!!!! Lovely atmosphere and intimate enough!

I'd ring them and ask about the little one, but I don't imagine they'd be that bothered if it's a group booking!

Go for the early bird if you can as it is very good value and ends at 7.30pm so if you get there for 7.15 you are sorted :)

Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Fleva next to the town hall has a great lunch menu. A bit pricey but the food is good.

Cafe Sol is pretty damn great too for lunch. Nice desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

+1 for Fleva. Never gotten a bad meal there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Zuni and Cafe Sol are both really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Zuni and cafe sol are good.

Imo, lautrecs is probably the best place in KK, albeit slightly pretentious :o.

Lautrecs!! I forgot about that place, It's on Rose Inn st... great place... a lot more relaxed than Zuni and lovely staff. Cant believe I forgot it! Was there a few months back and it was great. Was a good group of us for a birthday party and it was very relaxed and fun evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I'd have to say Zuni also. I am not overly into eating out etc., but Zuni is the perfect setting for a 60th birthday party, especially if it will be a close knit family group. Food is nice, service is top notch. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Lautrecs!! I forgot about that place, It's on Rose Inn st... great place... a lot more relaxed than Zuni and lovely staff. Cant believe I forgot it! Was there a few months back and it was great. Was a good group of us for a birthday party and it was very relaxed and fun evening.

It's not on Rose Inn St, it's on Kieran Street.

Good spot alright - http://www.lautrecs.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Campagne do lunch on Fridays and Sundays. About €28 for two courses and €32 for three.

Not cheap, clearly, but there's plenty of room there.

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Campagne do lunch on Fridays and Sundays. About €28 for two courses and €32 for three.

Not cheap, clearly, but there's plenty of room there.

I'm really keen to check Campagne out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, we chose Zuni's and it was a complete hit.... the food was great, the atmosphere was lovely and we sat around for a while and didn't feel like they were rushing us out. It worked out the perfect venue for us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

They put the U in zUnis

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Campagne (Chef from the Michellin Star restaurant Chapter One) is an excellent restaurant with great food, easily head and shoulders above most of the others. They do a lovely Sunday afternoon lunch and open in the evenings Wednesday to Saturday. If you like steak/burgers etc I would recommend O'Reily's Bar and Grill (In the Ormonde). Also another lovely restaurant is in the Kilkenny River Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Has the River Court improved? I was there a couple of times a few years ago and thought it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

The three times I've have eaten in the restaurant in River court, the food and service was good.

Advertisement