Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Roof Leak

Options
  • 04-01-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I live in a terraced house, number 8 in a row of 10 houses. Each house has a double roof, with a valley between. This valley is at a slight pitch, running 'down' from house no. 10 to house no. 1.

Last year I got a new roof. By this I mean everything: the whole roof was removed, wooden beams, slates, the lot, and a complete new structure built, with new slates, and obviously a whole new valley. Now, water is entering from the valley, and seeping through to the ceiling in three places. I think I know what's causing this.

My neighbours in house no. 7 got rid of the valley in their roof to create an extra room upstairs (to get extra height). In so doing, they have created a 'dam' at the end of my valley. As the slope of the valley slopes 'down' to this dam, my guess is in heavy rain (which we've had a lot of over the summer) this pools, and seeps through at probably one point. Closest to this 'dam' is where most of the leakage is appearing indoors, then further along is the next most significant leak, further along again a small amount.

My builder is a good honest man who served me very well renovating the whole house. During the summer when this problem first appeared, he came and fixed it - or thought he had. He is due to come again soon, but my worry is there's not a lot he can do? I wonder has my neighbours 'dam' created a logistical nightmare?

Any suggestions are most welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Get a good quailfyed builder to go up there and check out the situaton, <snip> and find out what the problem is. Ur new out let has probably become blocked somewhere.

Advertisement