Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openoffice impress as powerpoint alternative

Options
  • 04-01-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know how to insert a videoclip in a presentation created in Impress. This works on my PC running windows but not on my eeepc running Linux (regardless of what format the videoclip is in.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

It's always a good idea to include specific version info on questions such as this.

I'm still using the now old 2.4 of OpenOffice on ubuntu 8.04 and I tried embedding a couple of videos (mpeg & avi) in an impress doc [just using the standard Insert->Movie and Sound menus] and it worked fine. It even ran multiple videos at the same time. So it does work on Linux and must be just a matter of having the correct software installed.

I don't have a eeePC myself ;( but I'm wondering if it doesn't come with the restricted software & codecs--needed for most video playback--enabled?? can you play these videos on the eeePC directly? Try installing the extras as detailed here http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-watch-dvd-in-ubuntu-gutsy/2008/03/14 and/or http://bigbrovar.wordpress.com/2008/12/17/multimedia-codecs-and-tools-for-ubuntu/

try in a terminal

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

then see if the videos play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sep27

Thanks for that. I am using openoffice 2.4 on my windows machine and it works fine. The eeepc 901 runs a Xandros version of Linux and the software in Staroffice 8. My video clips which are avi or mpg files run fine on the eeepc when run directly in mediaplayer for example, but not when embedded into staroffice impress. Embedding videoclips is not a problem in Openoffice impress on a windows PC so I am a little confused.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

well I have no experience of eeepc, Xandros or Staroffice 8... but the only additional thing I can suggest is to make sure java is enabled in StarOffice. In open office the option would be Tools->Options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sep27

Thank for prompt reply. Java is enabled but no joy I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement