Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic tank problem - urgent!!!

Options
  • 04-01-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there,

Just got up this morning to have a shower and there is no water in the tank in the attic - it's constantly emptying through one of the pipes that leads to it.

any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Normally your tank feeds the water to the cold taps in the bathrooms , toilets and the hot water taps in the whole house. There must be something leaking, how about the toilet cisterns ? are they all ok? with no drips. Check tank to see if it is filling from the mains inlet. There should be a good flow if you hold down the ball cock for a few seconds. Post the answer if you find out whats the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

maybe plug the pipe that it is leaking through and go round the house and see whats not working. Dont try you shower though , don't want to run it any more without water in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Is it emptying via the overflow to outside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

My understanding was that the overflow to outside the house is exactly that, an overflow. i.e used when the tank is too full.

But you say you have no water in the tank, so that seems at odds with the overflow pumping water out.

Confused with this I'm afraid, perhaps best bet is to get in the attic and have a look in the tank, I am in a 2 bed house and that is easy enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Yep, we need more information here. The OP says it's constantly emptying, I just can't see where else it could be emptying to without you knowing it. Are the toilets and cold tap in bathroom working? Is there a sound coming from the attic tank, ie is it constantly refilling?
    If stuck PM me your location, NB though, I am NOT a plumber so any help or advice is without prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

hey,

many thanks for all your replies - really appreciate it! We did get it sorted.

Was very strange - the tank in the attic was completely empty - new water was coming in but then kept draining out down to fill the hot tank. Not sure what drained out the water originally from both the tanks - maybe the water was turned off in the night (?) - but it took about 2.5 hours for the tanks to re-fill and for everything to return to normal! Maybe there was some sort of an air lock or something!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I would say it was something like your mains water was disconnected for some reason and your bathroom or showers used all of the water in the tank and it didn't have enough time to refill.

Advertisement