Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

uk reg question

Options
  • 04-01-2009 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Below is an explanation on UK numbering system provided by autotrader -

Does this mean a car registered in Jan or Feb 2005 would use "54" as the age identifier?

Example: AB 52 DVL

AB represents the 'local memory tag' - where the vehicle was registered. A full list is available from the DVLA but examples include BA-BY for Birmingham, LA to LY for London, and so on.
    52 represents the age identifier. Not entirely obvious at first, it is changed at half-yearly intervals (March and September) in the following way: September 2001 = 51, March 2002 = 02, September 2002 = 52, etc. In 2010, the numbers are 10 and 61, in 2020 they are 20 and 71, and so on.
    DVL is the random part
    Bear in mind some personalised plates don't follow this system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

As far as I'm aware, since around 2001 or 2002, regs will have their "identity" tag showing what location they're registered in however the main crux of the year and what month it's registered is via "05" - this means it was registered in the first 6 months of 2005 - the 5 meaning 2005 and the 0 meaning the first half of the year.

For the 2nd half of the year, it'll show "55" - 5 being for the second half of the year. Basically, "0" for first 6 mths and "5" for the next 6 mths of the year. I'm sure it's more specific but that's the way it works as far as I know. As for the exact month, I guess that would have to be clarified by the specific cars paperwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

A friend of mine recently imported a 54 passat, it was 2005, unfortuately he let his wife drive it and he doesn't have it anymore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

mickey mac wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently imported a 54 passat, it was 2005, unfortuately he let his wife drive it and he doesn't have it anymore! :D

Ha ha - Go to bed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Does this mean a car registered in Jan or Feb 2005 would use "54" as the age identifier?

In a word, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

R.O.R wrote: »
    In a word, Yes.

Not necessarily. It is possible to transfer a personalised plate from one car to another but not if it makes a car look less old than it is.

If you go to cartell and enter BA 51 COO, which could be made to say Basic 00, you can see that it is on a van registered in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

To be pedantic, this is Great Britain reg system. To see a full explanation of the current and previous systems along with info on the reg systems in NI and ROI, see www.wolfbane.co.uk

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As far as I'm aware, since around 2001 or 2002, regs will have their "identity" tag showing what location they're registered in however the main crux of the year and what month it's registered is via "05" - this means it was registered in the first 6 months of 2005 - the 5 meaning 2005 and the 0 meaning the first half of the year.

For the 2nd half of the year, it'll show "55" - 5 being for the second half of the year. Basically, "0" for first 6 mths and "5" for the next 6 mths of the year. I'm sure it's more specific but that's the way it works as far as I know. As for the exact month, I guess that would have to be clarified by the specific cars paperwork!

this is wrong. This is about right:

54 would run from sep 04 to end feb 05
    05 would run from march 05 to end august 05
    55 would run from sep 05 to end feb 06

So a 2005 car could have a 54, 05 or 55 plate. or personalised as noted
    above, but people rarely sell personalised plates with their car.

mostly the year is now indicated in ads in uk

eg 2005 '54' plate passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

copacetic wrote: »
    this is wrong. This is about right:

54 would run from sep 04 to end feb 05
    05 would run from march 05 to end august 05
    56 would run from sep 05 to end feb 06

So a 2005 car could have a 54, 05 or 56 plate.

55, not 56.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Richard wrote: »
    55, not 56.

doh! Agreed, knew I would make a mistake!

Advertisement