Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C

Options
  • 04-01-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus, been a while since I started one of these.

Righto, well, Got a nice new lighting kit yesterday from Calumet and finally got around to taking a few snaps..once I found something semi-interesting :D

First time really messing with off camera lighting/strobes like these, so C&C on lighting or whatever. Lighting info on the flickr page

5D + 24-70L 70mm @f/22 ISO 320 1/200
    3164921524_83949faa91.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think it's great. A little dark on the front i'd have thought (but my monitor isn't calibrated). I love the shades of light captured down the side of the vehicle. To be really picky, the shadow off the mirror on the door is the only thing I would pick up on for particular improvement if that could be eliminated. The tyres could do with a slight differentiation between the black of them and the black of the background I think (again not a calibrated screen so I could be wrong here). You've done a fine job of it. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Agree with Ancatdubh, too dark and for some reason I cannot access a larger version of this picture. :confused:
    I do understand that famous.good photograhers have to do this to protect their images but this is CM we're talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Quick levels:

3164171243_776b907836.jpg

Any better AnCatDubh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Forget the picture did you drive it???? wow, I miss my beamer:(

It is a little dark alright but I'm just in awe of the car.... Other than lighting it is a savage brochure picture.

Still too dark, seriously... and I now see grain.

• Advertisement

Forget the picture did you drive it???? wow, I miss my beamer:(
    Lol. Hold on til I take a setup shot... :pac:
    It is a little dark alright but I'm just in awe of the car.... Other than lighting it is a savage brochure picture.

Cheers!

AR: That grain as far as I can see is due to the paint on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Any better AnCatDubh?

Yeah, overall better but the levels has raised it for the whole image. I like the side lighting/reflection in the first at what it was at - real showroom brochure and technically great. The change looks like its just brightened it (the side) a tad. Again could be this monitor - someone with a calibrated one would have a better opinion.

Setup shot
    3165070016_7c9b92967a.jpg

the blue and white sheets are covering the messy floor :D

Don't think I'd get too far in that, Rach..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

the blue and white sheets are covering the messy floor :D

Don't think I'd get too far in that, Rach..

brilliant...... seriously I had to look at it well to cop that, even hubbie didnt notice when I showed him the set up shot. Class all the same, hmm now there's one way to make you look more pro in your portfolio............ running out to buy some model cars.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

have you a polariser on?

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    have you a polariser on?

Nope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe try one the next time, works wonders on car photography

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You could also consider using white sheets of paper to fill-in shadows only with reflected light.

3169484790_13c97d457b.jpg

Slightly different light setup, really liked how this came out :D

The light is far better but it doesn't look as realistic as the earlier pics, perhaps its because I know the secret though. ;)

The light is far better but it doesn't look as realistic as the earlier pics, perhaps its because I know the secret though. ;)

This one a bit more realistic, Janer? :P

Not really a big secret. Just a bit of improvisation.. more of a poor mans way of doing car photography! :D

3170168082_a5a7f9593f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If you ever deicded to photograph real cars,have you got a big enough black sheet?:D

I like them,all seem good,the one posted at 3:31 this morning is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think that last one looks the least realistic out of the lot.

I can't believe I thought it was a real car first time haha. Good stuff.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    If you ever deicded to photograph real cars,have you got a big enough black sheet?:D
    TBH, there was a shoot through umbrella and some clutter in my room in the bg of the last one. Layer masks ftw! Made it easy to make the bg a solid black :D I figure that trick will work no matter the size! ;)

I shouldn't have mentioned they were 1:18 models :D

/edit: it's funny using f/18 and getting such a small DOF

I think that last one looks the least realistic out of the lot.

I can't believe I thought it was a real car first time haha. Good stuff.

Well 1st one was so dark it was hard to tell, while the last one is a better pic it also makes the car more unrealistic in terms of a real car, then again as I said it could be because we know how he photographed it now.

Now if he had have posted the last pic 1st and not let us into the secret then we'd prob be raving about it!

Pace yourself CM, Pace yourself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement