Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Photographer

Options
  • 04-01-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi All,
    I am looking for advice on the best FIRST DSLR to get.

I am only starting out but as I am always someone who wants to run before I can walk. I want something that can be professional enough to attempt sending the photos into mags etc. I am sure it is not THAT easy to get into the field but best to buy the right camera than something that doesnt deliver quality expected by trade.

I was thinking the Canon D450? Sure, let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you are thinking Canon ..... 40D, 5D, 50D.

40D would be cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

40D will allow you to jog instead of run.... but will be more than enough for a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Okay.

What kind of photographs do you want to take and send to magazines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Theres tons of threads dealing with what camera to get and there relative merits....... A quick search would get you lots of threads. My vote goes for the alpha 200 if your on a budget and the alpha 700 if your not :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 pokergroupie

Cool. Thanks for the input.

And I am most interested in life/festivals/gig photos (who isnt. haha). Who knows. I will give it a try...

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I started off getting published with a Canon 350d and a Sigma 70-300

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Check out the "Which camera should i buy" in the stickies.

But no matter what make you buy, if buying entry level you'll be getting your hands on a great piece of kit. If going for something like the 40D then you've a superb piece of kit.

The only thing stopping you will be ability at least until you learn its capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

And getting nifty-fifty will help you a lot with any of entry-level DSLR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why do people always think it's about gear?

TBH if you are interested in getting into Photography where you are looking at being published, then you should have done at least enough research to ask more than this.

The problem is we have many threads on here that go into the virtues of the various systems on offer.

My advice to the OP is to look into Photography first & when you have done that you will then be able to ask for more meaningful advice on gear. If you want to learn by experience alone then any of the entry level DSLR's will be fine, they all produce images of a quality that will be sufficient. The choice that will really make the difference is what glass you select to use. As already suggested, a 50mm prime would probably be a good choice along side the kit zoom. This will allow you get a good start.

Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Borderfox wrote: »
    I started off getting published with a Canon 350d and a Sigma 70-300

My first photo in a national daily newspaper was with the exact same combination!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

ditto.

Advertisement