Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a suitable dog

Options
  • 03-01-2009 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I want to buy a medium size dog that does not shed and is good with children. Also, I am out for part of the day and so the dog would be on his/her own for a few hours. A dog that is low-energy indoors and is quite placid is therefore desirable.

I'm not sure what breed would be best. Could anybody offer me some advice? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than the shedding, none of the desired traits are particularly breed specific, but rather training and routine dependent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Greyhounds make great pets as they are naturally placid dogs and are generally very sociable/good tempered so therefor good with children. They also don't need hours of exercise like you might think, just a normal 1 hour daily walk, of course they like to have a good run if you can take them somewhere secure to let them off the lead. all you need really is a secure garden as they are quite good at jumping. www.paws.ie always has greyhounds looking for good homes. even though they are not hypoallergenic per se they do have a very thin coat which sheds very little. and even though they are not officially a medium breed, they aren't a truly large breed like a mastiff, they are just tall and thin really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I second the greyhound option. They're incredibly placid, and affectionate, and will love to nap during the day - rather than yapping at your heels like some breeds.

Don't let their size put you off, or the fact that they're muzzled during races, they're just big babies. They can curl up in the smallest of corners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

i go with the greyhounds...www.dogsindistress.org.....or is it net...anyway if you wish to have a non shed couch potato as a pet.....

Advertisement