Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel you get your liecence fees worth?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

When you pay your Telly licence, do you ever feel you've been robbed?

I mean other than The Champions League (and it's coverage) I honestly find it hard to pick out an RTE programme I enjoy.

The comedy is muck. That fat squeaky mess on Mondays is as bad as that Dan & Becs cack. The panel was great, but it's gone downhill every season since Dara's departure and Podge and Rodge have been flogging the same show for what seems like a decade.

It makes little to no decent dramas - none that can compete with ITV or the Beebs' anyway. The Late Late show has had it's day with Gaybo and that Plank on Friday Nights is laughable.

And how embarrasing is the granny-waving, overly complicated, GAA jersey wearin' debacle that are the National Lottery programmes?

Oh, and Fair City. Enough said.

I'd rather give my licence fee to the BBC. They've earned it more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes, that along with my Sky subscription, feels like being rode from behind .
    This Xmas must go down as the worst ever TV experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Never have paid it. Never will. Nuff said, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Never watch RTE, I find it quite irritating that I still have to pay license fees to rte when I just watch sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yes.completely robbed. NTL basic package is utter rubbish.Nothing on atall.
    :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It would only be worth it if Sharon Ni Bheolain was to give me at least one blow job a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Not at all...

Standard TV is no good...

On the interwebs, everything is free and now in HD :D

Pay to have the TV then watch adverts for 20 minutes an hour. On SKY its an even bigger joke. €XX.XX per month then 29458498 minutes of ads each hour and when good stuff is on its usually Pay Per View.

Per Per suck my ass thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

m83 wrote: »
    Never have paid it. Never will. Nuff said, innit?

We've heard all of the excuses. None of them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

In the minority probably, but I think RTE provides an excellent service. Their news coverage is top class for a small nation, and in The Clinic, they have a great drama series. They also import stuff like Lost, Desperate Housewives etc and have their GAA and Champions League/ Premier League coverage for the sports fan (not to mention a hell of a lot of other sports). It is €3 a week - buy a Sunday newspaper, and you've nearly spent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    I'd rather give my licence fee to the BBC. They've earned it more.

+1

BBC programing is far better albeit they do make alot more considering the population of the UK. I think RTE really do have to pull there socks up with programming! Its a joke! they probably think they dont need to as the majority of people in Ireland have satellite or a decent selection of UK channels so dont really give a dam or want to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never paid mine either, got a letter once and never heard anything more about it, been living in the same apartment for 4 years now and never been visited, come to think of it I dont know a single person whos ever been visited by the tv licence crowd, the only show i watch on RTE is the Panel, and even thats kinda ****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

jimbo78 wrote: »
    We've heard all of the excuses. None of them work.
    :D

Of course I don't feel I get my money's worth. The only programme I watch on RTE is Questions and Answers.

Box sets all the way people :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ satisfy my needs so I do get value

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haven't watched a thing on RTE all year so yes, I feel completely robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Feel completely robbed. Don't have a TV, but have an aerial (moved in about 2 months ago into a new house). Wasn't going to get rid of the aerial, as may buy a TV in the future.

Was not going to buy a licence.... but the inspector visited..... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

In the minority probably, but I think RTE provides an excellent service. Their news coverage is top class for a small nation, and in The Clinic, they have a great drama series. They also import stuff like Lost, Desperate Housewives etc and have their GAA and Champions League/ Premier League coverage for the sports fan (not to mention a hell of a lot of other sports). It is €3 a week - buy a Sunday newspaper, and you've nearly spent that.
    The divisional selling angle -only 3 euro a week.

But theres a lot of 3 euro,.

It needs to be slimmed down to say 1 tv station and 1 or 2 radio stations.

All the rest should be sold off.

50 Euro a year would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It would only be worth it if Sharon Ni Bheolain was to give me at least one blow job a day.
    I'd settle for a daily nipple slip, it'd reach a wider audience. "Over to Sharon for the stock markets..." *whoopsie!*
    Dinkie wrote: »
    Feel completely robbed. Don't have a TV, but have an aerial (moved in about 2 months ago into a new house). Wasn't going to get rid of the aerial, as may buy a TV in the future.

I thought you only had to pay if you had a functioning receiver (i.e. a TV)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Definate no.

The Panel has gone downhill so much and that was RTEs only good thing IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

:eek: RTE is very poor and to think we have to pay a TV licience even do I do not watch RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Why did you have to get a TV license when you don't have a TV? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

lb163 wrote: »
    :eek: RTE is very poor and to think we have to pay a TV licience even do I do not watch RTE

I watch TV but don't need a licence because all viewing is done on my computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Big Stupid All-Ireland Talentless Show has just begun and I can categorically state that the TV licence is far far too expensive for what we get in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I pay nothing for the stations I do watch which are Free To Air - and I pay way over the odds for all the stations I never watch - RTE etc. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So many homes, well over 90% have a TV maybe it's time to just take it out of taxation and scrap the TV license.

Hey, it saves all this administration, constant ad space which could otherwise be sold and we don't need Inspectors from An Post working under contract.
    Everyone wins :)
    Except the now unemployed inspectors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lb163 wrote: »

I will let you in on a little secret. The television licence is only required if you have a television tuner and has nothing to do with watching RTÉ or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hogzy wrote: »
    +1

BBC programing is far better albeit they do make alot more considering the population of the UK. I think RTE really do have to pull there socks up with programming! Its a joke! they probably think they dont need to as the majority of people in Ireland have satellite or a decent selection of UK channels so dont really give a dam or want to complain!

BBC don't need your money the earn 6billion a year (and not just from the licence fee). I would hope they are a bit better than RTÉ.

And not to repeat myself on boards: -

1. 2 TV channels
    2. 4 Radio stations +extra digital ones
    3. RTE Network (RTE NL)
    4. RTE Musical Groups (No they don't particularly want them but it gets the Arts dept. out paying for a NSO).
    5. 10% of the lience fee goes to An Post for collection
    6. 10% goes to the BCI some of which comes back to RTE, but also goes to TV3 (Yes, most of TV3's prime time documentries are paid for by the Licence Fee), BBC NI, UTV, C4, Setanta, DCTV ect
    7. 365hours of TV to TG4 in the form of News and Light Entertainment.

But their are issues with in RTÉ especially with Entertainment, Comedy and Drama. You would think TG4 would know better then to take Entertainment from RTE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny collecting over half a million a year from your RTE tax (license fee) is a major reason why there's so much resentment at paying the tax.

Sorry am unable to quote previous posts.

The inspector left me a note with a number of reasons why a tv licence was required and a check box beside it.

Ticked was the check box stating that i have an aerial and therefore need a licence (can't find the note to give the exact line).

When I rang up I was told that if I have an aerial that can receive a signal I need a licence for it??? Seemingly I could just hide the tv or something to that effect:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sorry am unable to quote previous posts.

The inspector left me a note with a number of reasons why a tv licence was required and a check box beside it.

Ticked was the check box stating that i have an aerial and therefore need a licence (can't find the note to give the exact line).

When I rang up I was told that if I have an aerial that can receive a signal I need a licence for it??? Seemingly I could just hide the tv or something to that effect:confused::confused:

If you don't have a TV take the ariel down.

To quote click on the word quote
    here--v

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Elmo wrote: »
    To quote click on the word quote
    here--v

Over a bit more
    here--v

• Advertisement

Over a bit more
    here--v

Thanks!!!

I had wanted to keep the aerial in case I ever wanted to get a TV, but probably will take it down next year

Advertisement