Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving obscene phone messages

Options
  • 03-01-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Receiving obscene phone messages at work. Have documented all details and supervisors are aware - however now need to escalate matter -Gards to be contacted? Suggestions, experience etc welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Better check how your employers want to handle it first. Ok, your supervisors know about it, do you have a HR dept? Talk to them first and tell them you want it stopped. You could ruffle a lot of feathers if you go about resolving this your own way without consulting anyone (understandable as it is that you want this to end).

If you don't have a HR dept then get your Supervisors to escalate the issue to the next management level. Really, there is not a whole lot your supervisors can do only move it up the chain. Keep on at them though, its easy for them to ignore this as its not happening to them and they may not see it as a big deal.

I had a similar issue years ago. The calls were not obscene but were unwanted (from an ex member of staff) and I just ended up asking the switchboard to monitor my calls for a while and not to let this persons calls through. I knew who it was though so its different.

Maybe the switchboard could note your callers and check with you before putting calls through? It is extra work for them, but people are usually understanding in a situation like this.

I hope it gets sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Scribble1

Thanks for that. Unfortunately tho we have a switchboard, it's possible to dial directly into any individual phone line. Just out of curiousity - was your job in the public sector?

I am of the same mind in relation to letting the supervisors handle the matter - just want the calls stopped so i can get on with my work. Will go ahead tomorrow and see what developes.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ask your boss if it has been reported the guards, surely it's a legal requirement for them to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have no personnel experience with this but I would suggest not going to the Gardai without telling the company first. It might not go down well. Contact HR aswell put on a bit of pressure to get it sorted. Could your number be changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Scribble1

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It got sorted internally. Much obliged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement