Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it no longer cool to scoop the poop

Options
  • 03-01-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the weather has been fantastic over Christmas, I have been out walking quite a bit around Tralee. I've been really struck by the amount of dog poo left on the footpaths. Do some dog owners no longer pick up. I guess the dry weather has a lot to do with it - more people out walking & no rain to wash away the mess. As I've got some young children, one of them invariably finds a piece to walk in. Just got a bit annoyed over it. What do you think?.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think alot of people have decided to walk as a new years resolution and as a result yep, the poop factor is higher.

One thing that gets to me as a dog owner who scoops after the poop, is the lack of a place to dispose of the said poop. I have spent almost all my walking time looking for a bin to dispose of the said steaming stinky bag. I often have to plan my walks to go by the one bin in the area and hope that my dog does it before this as if not I tend to have a long trek with this bag.

Could this be a factor in the not picking up poop issue? then again maybe its just pure lazyness.
    I was picking up after my pooch one day to be thanked by a passerby who said that there should be more people in the world like me. It was nice to be thanked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The majority of dog owners I see when out with my own dog, pick up after their pets. Having said that, I come across a lot of poop on my route. I put this down to irresponsible owners letting their dog out unattended. Most mornings I come across a dog (obviously local ) doing his business in the local green or someone's garden. :mad I'd say this is a common occurrence.

I agree with the above statement about lack of places to dispose of the poop. I've often walked for an hour carring two bags full. :rolleyes: The powers that be could try and meet responsible people half way by providing a few poop bins.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Kamili wrote: »
    I have spent almost all my walking time looking for a bin to dispose of the said steaming stinky bag. I often have to plan my walks to go by the one bin in the area and hope that my dog does it before this as if not I tend to have a long trek with this bag.

Could this be a factor in the not picking up poop issue?

I think that's a huge factor. When we brought our dogs to Ireland last year we were appalled by the lack of bins. The Deer Park in Stillorgan near my in-laws has one bin. Our local park in London at the time was about a third of the size with 12 poo bins and lots more normal bins. It also had two poo-bag dispensers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They used to have more bins in Deerpark (Mount Merrion not Stillorgan) but they were removed as apparently people were putting in bags of waste, like a black bin.

I'd prefer to see more bins up there rather than the weird looking stretching yokes dotted about.

Folks try to use paper scoopers so it will break down and not plastic bags. Fare play to you all for cleaning the doodoo up.

I'm surprised (well, compared to how our country works not really) that there are more bins in the parks in London. I thought most were removed due to bombs being placed in them during the 70/80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I agree, we were walking our dog on Lahinch beach, and there was no bin! My dad ended up walking up and down the promenade and there was none so we had to put it in the boot of the car until we got home :( How sick is that and it smelled the whole way home. I know alot of people wouldn't have put up with that and would have just thrown the bag on the ground or not picked it up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When I lived in the UK the poo bins in our local park would get blown up every year at Guy Fawkes, kids would put fireworks in them for a laugh. The council didn't usually replace them for a few months, but people would still leave their poo bags where the bin was!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm surprised (well, compared to how our country works not really) that there are more bins in the parks in London. I thought most were removed due to bombs being placed in them during the 70/80's

That was only on the underground.

Advertisement