Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

many foreign people leaving the country without paying back the loans

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi! I would like to know the outcome of the thing that people leaving the country without paying back their loans to the banks and credit unions.
    I personally know some person left the country with about 20 000 euro from different banks. So far they are so good, but is the police going to look after them in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

mudakala wrote: »
    Hi! I would like to know to outcome of the thing that people leaving the country without paying back their loans to the banks and credit unions.
    I personally know some person left the country with about 20 000 euro from different banks. So far they are so good, but is the police going to look after them in the future?

Yes, they will be persued by the banks. And yes, the police may be interested in them if there are allegations of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thats Fraud and if they go within the EU they will eventually be persued by Europol!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mudakala wrote: »
    Hi! I would like to know to outcome of the thing that people leaving the country without paying back their loans to the banks and credit unions.

probably not , I know a couple of Irish people that did that moving back to Ireland from the UK , I doubt it is worth chasing a small amount like that across boarders.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

silverharp wrote: »
    probably not , I know a couple of Irish people that did that moving back to Ireland from the UK , I doubt it is worth chasing a small amount like that across boarders.
    Do you consider that to be a small amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mudakala

I also heard that with small amounts (less than 10 000) you are probably ok.

• Advertisement

Would any known previous assets be frozen or repossessed? Eg if it was a mortgage and the mortgagee skipped the country and sold the house before hand! Could the bank reposes the house as the mortgagee never actually owned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Hogzy wrote: »
    Would any known previous assets be frozen or repossessed? Eg if it was a mortgage and the mortgagee skipped the country and sold the house before hand! Could the bank reposes the house as the mortgagee never actually owned it?

I think you mean mortgagor. It is legally impossible to sell a mortgaged property without the co-operation of the mortgagee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

You're not thinking of leaving the country, are you buddy? :p

I think you mean mortgagor

Always get them mixed up:p
    newestUser wrote: »

Depends on whether i get a job after college... Dont worry i dont own a house lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mudakala

newestUser wrote: »

no 10 or 20K euros is deffenetly not enough to leave the country, not worth the hassle. With 100k, yes I would, but its not easy to get that kind of money with any scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

This thread is weird. Moved from Economics.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thats Fraud and if they go within the EU they will eventually be persued by Europol!

While it could be fraud, in practical terms people are rarely prosecuted for not paying a debt in Ireland.

However, there are civil proceedures for enforcing a judgement in another EU country.

As to how likely it is, who can say - it really depends on the individual banks. Just in case someone is thinking of doing this, it is the type of thing that one way or another will hang over your head for years and debts won't go away just because you leave the country.

Perhaps AH would be more suitable than LD. The OP wants to hear about other people's experience of dodging debts - not something people in LD are that keen on admitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

It's fairly easy to get a court order against them in Ireland and that can be automatically enforced in most countries that they are likely to have returned to. They will probably be liable for the costs of the whole process so that will not deter the bank in question. Not a clever thing to do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The biggest problem is finding the people wherever they move to. You can get all the judgements in the world but if you can find the person they are just worthless pieces of paper. And if that person changes their name it is an almost impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

From my own experience, I left a CC debt of around 2.5k (Euro) in South Africa when I left. Parents were supposed to take care of it, long story short they didn't. Four years later I got a call from a solicitor back home. Was kinda shocked but hey, I owed the money so paid it back the same day.

I would imagine if you skipped Ireland to anywhere for any amount of money you'd be pursued for the most part. It's not really that hard, they simply hand it over to their solicitors or whoever and forget about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The biggest problem is finding the people wherever they move to. You can get all the judgements in the world but if you can find the person they are just worthless pieces of paper. And if that person changes their name it is an almost impossible task.

While I agree with you, is that really the message that should be put out about people in debt?

Advertisement