Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice needs to buy wall bracket & fit lcd to plasterboard wall- help pls!

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered already..

I am a complete novice and am buying a 37inch LG6000 and want to wall mount it on an apartment plasterboard wall over the fireplace.
    (only place I can put it- as restricted space).

Can anybody give me tips/help on the following:
    1. Where to buy a good value tilting or movable wall bracket?
    2. Will I need to purchase anything else like a cable tidy etc..
    3. Can I place the wall bracket directly onto the plaster board wall? Are plasterboards walls normally ok to hold LCD's??

All help appreciated :)
    Pix

P.s the specs say the wall mount I require is:
    VESA fittings are usually 100 x 100mm, 200 x 100mm or 200 x 200mm. "Plasma type" is common with the larger LCD TV's and require a sliding bar type fitting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

are you sure there is support behind the plasterboard?

i wouldn't feel too comfortable doing it myself if i was a novice.

most new apartments have plasterboard thats held up by metal fixings at the edges, so no batons. you need to attach the bracket through the plasterboard and onto the support batons (if there's any there)

if you have no batons behind the wall, then you'll need to build out support from the solid wall which can sometimes be up to 2 feet behind the plasterboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Its all at your own risk, or maybe the tvs risk. That said, I had a 32" mounted over the fireplace. No support, just plaster board and I used about 12 toggle bolts to hold the bracket in place. Toggle Bolts and the bolts where they came with a spring loaded clip on the end. Push that through the hole and screw in. The clip unfolds and attaches to inside the wall. It felt very secure, but at your own risk. If you go down the above route, make sure you get toggle bolts that can take the weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

you said it was going over a fireplace,well if the fireplace has a chimney its safe to say it should be blocks behind the plasterboard.if so no probs putting it up there..all u need is a hilti drill and your coachbolts and a spanner to put them in..powercity do good affordable tv brackets.ive done two myself at this stage and simple enough

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Is it ok to put Flatscreens up over a fireplace. Will the heat not damage the telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ricfeen wrote: »
    Is it ok to put Flatscreens up over a fireplace. Will the heat not damage the telly!

Or above a radiator for that matter... Myn is above a radiatior...about 2.5 to 3ft above:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

My one's been up for 3 years(same kinda set-up) only mines 42". Although it is really all at your own risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

You can get electrical white,trunking for this. Has removable front cover with sticky surface on rear for mouting to wall. 2 inch size very suitable. Easily cut and shaped around corners etc. Easily painted.

See electrical wholesalers suppliers around the city e.g Eurosales / ND electrical. Cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bilbert55

This was covered in the general section last week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460312

I've installed many tvs above a fireplace, in one place, the tv was "sunk" into the wall. Bn up for the last 5 years in a pub and it's on 8 hrs a day?

Spinnaker wrote: »
    You can get electrical white,trunking for this. Has removable front cover with sticky surface on rear for mouting to wall. 2 inch size very suitable

See electrical wholesalers suppliers around the city e.g Eurosales / ND electrical. Cheap

This trunking is called "Self Adhesive Conduit" - cheap and comes in many sizes. (Make sure and use a spirit level when putting up conduit - nothing worse than a straight TV and then the trunking off)

Hope this helps!

Advertisement