Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Accomodation on campus.

Options
  • 03-01-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Thinking about goin to NUIG next year. Just want to know wat's the best student accommodation for a 1st year ??:confused:

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

none. There is no on-campus accommodation. Their are official student residences though, but these are 10 to 15 minutes walk from the main campus. Corrib Village is the closest, but it's also an absolute kip. Gort na Coiribe and Cuirt na Coiribe are across the river, and are of a better standard, Cuirt more so imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

If you plan on studying don't bother with Corrib Village. The goings on there can be a big distraction, but it's a great place to meet people and it's the closest accomodation to the college. I hear it's fairly expensive now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Weidii wrote: »
    If you plan on studying don't bother with Corrib Village. The goings on there can be a big distraction, but it's a great place to meet people and it's the closest accomodation to the college. I hear it's fairly expensive now though.

Yeah alri thanks... Is Corrib Village were most 1st years go?

Prob just study in the library anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Corrib Village is a dive! But so what!! It's the best place to be in fist year- party fecking central- it's a dive becasue it'd only be destroyed anyway- go to Corrib and you'll love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Yeah alri thanks... Is Corrib Village were most 1st years go?

Prob just study in the library anyway.

Tis yeah, honestly wouldn't take anywhere else over it for first year.

And study isn't actually that hard, the only time the 'atmosphere' has an adverse effect is if you're trying to get to sleep any time before 4am.

• Advertisement

Tis yeah, honestly wouldn't take anywhere else over it for first year.

And study isn't actually that hard, the only time the 'atmosphere' has an adverse effect is if you're trying to get to sleep any time before 4am.

Sorted Then !!!

I've 1 last question. I've yet to apply and can't until 1st of feb... will there still be places??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 john boy walton

none. There is no on-campus accommodation. Their are official student residences though, but these are 10 to 15 minutes walk from the main campus. Corrib Village is the closest, but it's also an absolute kip. Gort na Coiribe and Cuirt na Coiribe are across the river, and are of a better standard, Cuirt more so imo.

Corrib isnt' an absolute kip. i am living there now and the rooms i suppose are of average standard. you get chorus also and wireless broadband. if you are willing to pay the extra for the ensuite houses, you will get such things as a dishwasher, a kitchen seperate from the living room, a full size freezer (in gort and cuirt you only have the tiny one at the top of the small fridge to be shared with 4 people). the nightlife is good in corrib, but if you wish to study or sleep you probly wont find any difficulty because the cairnes building is a minute walk away and thats basically a library. its about 8 minutes to walk into college and you are shaded by trees which is important in galway with the rain... it takes about 15 minutes to get from cuirt, over a bridge with absolutely no protection from the rain in the wettest county in ireland...

so all in all id advise ya to go to corrib
    oh and the beds are reeeeaaaly comfy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Corrib isnt' an absolute kip. i am living there now and the rooms i suppose are of average standard.

you have really low standards then. anytime i've been there the place has been a dive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Sorted Then !!!

I've 1 last question. I've yet to apply and can't until 1st of feb... will there still be places??

Yeah not a worry mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

Corrib isnt' an absolute kip. i am living there now and the rooms i suppose are of average standard. you get chorus also and wireless broadband. if you are willing to pay the extra for the ensuite houses, you will get such things as a dishwasher, a kitchen seperate from the living room, a full size freezer (in gort and cuirt you only have the tiny one at the top of the small fridge to be shared with 4 people). the nightlife is good in corrib, but if you wish to study or sleep you probly wont find any difficulty because the cairnes building is a minute walk away and thats basically a library. its about 8 minutes to walk into college and you are shaded by trees which is important in galway with the rain... it takes about 15 minutes to get from cuirt, over a bridge with absolutely no protection from the rain in the wettest county in ireland...

so all in all id advise ya to go to corrib
    oh and the beds are reeeeaaaly comfy

Ah you can lock your own bedroom door, and keep that as tidy as you want. There's great space in the bedrooms, lots of storage space. I shared with 3 other girls and we never had problems with space or shower time or anything like that. Our kitchen did get messy after the few parties.. But it's great. The atmosphere really is brilliant! especially freshers and rag week!

• Advertisement

Yeah not a worry mate

Alrite nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

do you need to put down a deposit for accomidation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fiftirxiebell

On campus is good for a first year because you don;'t have to worry about getting heat, tv liecences or internet.
    i never lived in corrib....but it was pure mental if the drunken memories are right, i lived in gort na corrib and have to say loved it, in a house now and enjoy it too...it really more up to the individual...what you'd rather :D

Dubs wrote: »
    do you need to put down a deposit for accomidation?

ye. it's 800 for corrib!!!:eek::eek::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

ello!
    hearing mixed reviews about the accomodation in corrib village and the rest of the accomodation but am just wondering where is the best accomodation for NUIG? anyone i've talked to has talked about amhra and dunagas(i think they're called-prob wrong!)
    help would be veeeeeeeeeeerrrry happily received!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭johnmct77

Ok ure answer, i lived in corrib village dis year, the truth is its ..a dump in comparison 2 dunaras,the walls in the rooms are grey and small(don't spend any length in them or you'll get bad thoughts!) You'll be lucky if u have half a carpet in the kitchen,walls aren't plastered.... The ones that are u can put ure foot through them

But you'll have the best time of ure life, its 1st year central in terms of parties lucky if ure 17
    , people h knowregret not goin 2 corrib in first year,its one of a kind really!

thanks!!!!!!
    so basically, corrib village 1st year and avoid it like the plague every year after????!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭johnmct77

thanks!!!!!!
    so basically, corrib village 1st year and avoid it like the plague every year after????!!!!

yeah thats the way! although i'm a 1st year dropout from sciense and reapplying to corrib just 4 the fun and craic and gettin 2 know people(i must be mad!):eek::D

johnmct77 wrote: »
    yeah thats the way! although i'm a 1st year dropout from sciense and reapplying to corrib just 4 the fun and craic and gettin 2 know people(i must be mad!):eek::D

ah no, what science did you do??? my friend put down undemoniated but (for some unknown reason) is now regretin it!!!

Advertisement