Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Webcam?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone suggest a good webcam for weather watching ideally outdoor wireless or wired that I can use on my site, been searching but if someone is using one and can reccomend it that would be great cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The logitech 9000pro is a good one to use but needs to be housed if placing outdoors. Find a good suitable spot indoors looking out a window away from direct sun should do fine but Supercell has a sunscreen type thing to block out the sun.
    Other than that i know of people that use CCTV cams for weather watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snowbie wrote: »
    The logitech 9000pro is a good one to use but needs to be housed if placing outdoors. Find a good suitable spot indoors looking out a window away from direct sun should do fine but Supercell has a sunscreen type thing to block out the sun.
    Other than that i know of people that use CCTV cams for weather watching.

Cheers that sunscreen type thing sounds useful, maybe Supercell will let me know what it is as the only window I look out if using USB is South facing i.e. into the sun. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

A wireless network IP Cam would be ideal because its not PC dependent. There are lots of cheap ones out there but Axis seem to be the best for image quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheers Dathi1 I was looking at a few alright, I work in I.T so hopefully one of our suppliers will sell them and I can pick one up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Villain wrote: »
    Cheers that sunscreen type thing sounds useful, maybe Supercell will let me know what it is as the only window I look out if using USB is South facing i.e. into the sun. Cheers

Thats a big problem for me too. At this time of year the sun is so low in the sky its impossible to get anything but white sky unless i want to burn out the sensor. It'll be fine probably by the end of this month, by April I can tilt the lens a good bit higher and get a decent amount of sky in . I strongly recommend getting a GND filter (cheap on ebay) to put in front of the webcam as this will dull the top of the picture so the sky doesnt look washed out .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

This webcam I put up recently. Y-Cam White in a Y-Cam housing. Wireless link to router.
    www.dunmorewebcams.com/webcam.asp?cam=3

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shangralia

If you’re using a Y-Cam. Why aren't you using a live image on the web site?

Advertisement