Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobhunting after 7 months out of work. Advice?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hello,

I have been out of work for 7 months. Spent half that time travelling and half working on family farm.

I understand the job situation is pretty bad at the minute, and advice?

I am trying to get a job now with recruitment agencies etc. I graduated in sept 07 with a business degree and spent 7 months working in fund accounting. It was boring but the money was good and I left to go travelling. I also have a 6 month work placement experience from college doing software development.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Miss B

Do you know what kind of job your looking for??
    I think recruitment agents are a waste of time, go direct to companies yourself and follow up all interviews to see how you performed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

recruitment companies are only good if there is a shortage of labour. Now there is an abundance of labour companies will do their own recruitment because its cheaper.

Figure out what kinda work you want to do, make up a list of the companies that do it and start making phone calls, sending emails etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Hello,

Thanks for the tips.

Because of my limited experience I am looking for an entry level position and there dosent seem to be many going at the minute. I havent had much joy with applying for companies myself so thats why I decided to try recruitment agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They dont tend to use agencies for entry level positions either, its too expensive.

What kind of work are you looking for? Is it in Ireland or are you looking abroad?

I dont think you'll find too many good (or bad) entry level positions in Ireland at the minute. What if you took any old job for the next 6-9 months and start applying for graduate roles that start hiring in September?

Hello,

I was hoping to get a job in a call centre because ideally I dont want to end up working in a shop.

Is it tough to get a job in a call centre? Most of them want 6 months experience in a similar role.

I have experience in fund accounting and software development so hopefully in the long run I will get a job in accounting or IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Call-centres are pretty easy to get a job. I had no experience when hired. Go to irishjobs.ie or fas website and they have a lot of jobs advertised there. Just register your cv on irishjobs thats how i got my job without even applying

Thanks for the tips

Advertisement