Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned cat!

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some quick advice. I'm staying in my Mum's over Christmas and we recently discovered our neighbour is fleeing the country after a 'mishap' with the law. He's been coming to the house at random times to remove furniture and I think everything is all but gone at this point. The thing is I've noticed their cat is still lurking around and I have a feeling they're going to leave it behind. I can't take the cat in myself but I want to bring it to a shelter or find a caring home for it.

The cat doesn't appear to be very tame. TBH, I don't think they paid much interest in it. It has never let me come near it, no matter how much I try :). How can I get it to trust me enough to catch it or should I just ring the ISPCA and try and get them to come and get it? If I bring it to the ISPCA would they be able to put a note through my neighbour's door saying they have the cat, just in case the family does return for it?

Any advice at all would be appreciated. At the moment the curtains are still up in the house but if I see no movement over the next couple of days I'll take action. Our neighbour was home earlier so for all I know he may have already taken the cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Not sure about the ISPCA part, but if your trying to get the cats trust or just catch it the best thing is to put out food for it and either grab it then or put your hand out without trying to rub it and see if he will come to you!
    I'm not a pro but hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Anyone else have any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Any people you know/neighbours who might be able to give this cat a home?

A family in the complex where I live just left their cat behind when they moved on :mad:. One of the other neighbours was very concerned but unable to take in the cat so they asked around and I took him and gave him to my Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ergonomics wrote: »
    Anyone else have any advice?

report his departure to the authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 chrisdr

The advice that was given by the other posters is pretty much sound. If no one wants the poor cat then I would call the ISPCA and have them come out. I would not bother letting the "fleeing neighbors" know sounds like they do not care except themselves. Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement