Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Husky Advice!!!

Options
  • 02-01-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

My 16yr old died mut on me last year and its unbelievably quiet around the house without her! Time to get a new dog, Im really in love with these dogs and the exotic unusual look but iv heard and read they they are a high maintaince breed! Apart from regular excercise can anyone give me some good beginner advice for a husky? I have a fully walled garden in a housing estate, No young children in the family!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Huskies are fantastic dogs, you just have to remember what they were bred for. Yes they need a fair bit of exercise, but buy a scooter, its great fun and it really wears them out. They are real escape artists, so you need walls of at least 6 foot. They will also run away, so should never be exercised off the lead in an unenclosed area. If bored they can be very destructive, but then so can any dog. They love to dig, so you probably will never have a fantastic garden again. They are great with kids, they were bred to pull the sleds during the day and sleep with the children at night to keep them warm. They tend not to bark much, but will sometimes howl just for pleasure. They shed bucketloads twice a year, some of them will lose their entire coat in one day, others it will take them a few weeks. They tend not to be good with cats and small animals, they have a high prey drive, although they can live with cats that they are brought up with, I would just recommend never to leave them alone unsupervised.

They can suffer from hip dysplasia and a couple of eye problems, so I would only buy from a breeder that has done the relevant health checks.

Check this link out, its to the GB husky club and has the pros and cons of husky ownership. http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/abouthuskies

Good luck, they are a fantastic dog and with just a little bit of thought, no more difficult than any other breed.

Advertisement