Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB surfing add on Telly

Options
  • 02-01-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have any of you seen the AIB surfing add on tv. It feature's John McCarthy the dude who own Lahinch surf school. Some nice footage of Aileens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I wanted to learn how to surf this year and i just saw that ad and it has frightened the bejesus out of me! :eek:

mostly because i have to learn how to swim first and that was my motivation because I wanted to go surfing but now...... *shudder!*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just saw it there. Made me want to switch banks ;)
    Never knew there were such amazing waves off Ireland, looked like Hawaii or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Neither did i!

I just thought it would be cold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

A few nice waves in this. Sorry about the music. Might want to turn the vol down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fantastic add. As if people who surf wer'nt cool looking enough!

I can't even swim, and i live on an island for feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

John Mc Carthy rocks! And so does his fine collection of freckles. It's a great ad & beautifully shot. I'd say there'll be tours to Aileens when it's working to check out our homegrown big wave riders. Fair play to him. Long may he surf & smile... A lesson with his school years ago set me on the Irish surfers path. Sometimes feckin' freezin but often the only thing that makes me smile like an idiot! (It makes the Denny ad waves look like ripples in a bath! Being a veggie, I have to diss an ad for piggly wigglies anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

out of interest can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of finding out who actually shot this video?

I'm asking because I was talking to a lad last weekend and he was claiming to have shot the video...I wasn't believing the lad (I was also under da influence:eek:) and asked him a few easy technical questions and he wasn't able to answer them for me...I'd love to see if it's his name on the credits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

I heard Mickey Smith was the Director of Photography. (He's a boadyboarder, who is also a photographer. Google his website.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I heard Mickey Smith was the Director of Photography. (He's a boadyboarder, who is also a photographer. Google his website.)

thanks for that, just checked out his website, wow, he has some amazing images...and it certainly aint the looper I was talking to last weekend so! I simply asked the faker what brand of external light meter did he use and he couldn't tell me...I was glad that even in the bad state I was in I could catch him like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Mickey Smith is one of the worlds best surf photographers.
    Most of the best started bodyboarding too.

Great little clip, some nice shots.

And yeah, its worth a look if you're down the Clare area, and not surfing to have a look at the cliffs if theres a good swell going. Take a day off surf and see those boys do their thing. Its nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

John Mc Carthy rocks! And so does his fine collection of freckles. It's a great ad & beautifully shot. I'd say there'll be tours to Aileens when it's working to check out our homegrown big wave riders. Fair play to him. Long may he surf & smile... A lesson with his school years ago set me on the Irish surfers path. Sometimes feckin' freezin but often the only thing that makes me smile like an idiot! (It makes the Denny ad waves look like ripples in a bath! Being a veggie, I have to diss an ad for piggly wigglies anyway!)

i heard that not all the shots in the add are of JMC, i think fergal smith is in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tahlia77

There's a making of video about this ad on youtube with interviews from the director and with John McCarthy and Mickey Smith who did all the underwater camera work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tahlia77

oops, not sure if that worked, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s37z31-36Ns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I got goose pimples watching it i started making funny noise and every one in the room started looking at me :D.......odly....

good add, aib seem to be cashing in on the surfing image thing they've got a couple of bust stop adds with surfboards on them and stuff....

Advertisement