Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODSE interview

Options
  • 02-01-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

has anyone done an interview for odse in the past? I have an interview with odse next week for a training contract and was wondering if anyone had any hints as to the type of questions they ask? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

What is odse?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jo King wrote: »
    What is odse?

O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds Solicitors I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or ODCE Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement

Or OECD Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Jo King wrote: »
    What is odse?

L’Observatoire du droit à la santé des étrangers

daviddob wrote: »
    has anyone done an interview for odse in the past? I have an interview with odse next week for a training contract and was wondering if anyone had any hints as to the type of questions they ask? thanks

Just make sure you do plenty of research beforehand:

http://www.odse.eu.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds Solicitors I presume.

I concur with m'learned friend. It is of course this ODSE that the OP refers.

http://www.odse.ie/Content.aspx?ID=26DFAB30-F39B-471A-A92E-8AE43294D8C4
    Victor wrote: »
    Or ODCE Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement

Or OECD Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.

I very much doubt it, that is unless the OP is dyslexic, only then is it realistic that they may be referring to these organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ah, "O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds, solicitors" (which one might abbreviate to OSE) not "O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds Solicitors" (which one might abbreviate to OSES).

/pedant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    Ah, "O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds, solicitors" (which one might abbreviate to OSE) not "O'Donnell Sweeney Eversheds Solicitors" (which one might abbreviate to OSES).

/pedant.

Mark my words, your uppence will come!

While you're technically correct, stylistically it is no harm to spell Solicitors with a capital S (and barrister with a tiny b).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

pretty much the same as any other firm really. I remember I had an interview with them, unfortunately they failed to tell me. I only found out when i was told I didn't get through the interview round. Hhmm, I wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

ya o'donnell sweeney eversheds solicitors is what i was referring to, i haven't been for many interviews and thats why i ask

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dr.Glockenspiel

I applied to ODSE in November and received a letter in acknowledgment saying 'please bear with us and we will be back in contract in due course'. I've heard nothing since. Sangre's remark makes me think I should contact them.

I have an interview with Frys next week which I'm trying to prepare for at moment. This will be my first proper job interview, so I'm ****ting the proverbial brick. I was reading about interviews generally, and essentially, when asking questions, the interviewer wants to know: 1) do you want the job, and 2) can you do the job. A generic questions like 'why do want to work with us/be a solicitor', 'tell me a bit about yourself' hit on both. Questions like 'where do see yourself in 3 years time' or 'what to do you think makes a good solicitor', mostly hit on point 2. Finishing question like - 'do you have any questions', 'will that be all?' are an opportunity to deliver a prepared summing up, which should again hit on both points.

Re point 1), show enthusism, motivation, energy etc, but also keep hitting on your legal credentials - this is something I've always wanted etc. Sound confident and competitive, but not arrogant or like a bull****ter either. If like me you say you did debating in college, and they ask 'why don't you pursue being a barrister' don't say, as I believe, 'It's too competitive, only 1/3 of barristers end up practicing, the financial risks are too high', say 'solicitors enjoy more client contact and so have the opportunity to build up working relationships with those in community', or 'solicitors tend to work more as part of a team, which something I enjoy' etc.

Re point 2), the key skills of a solicitor are (IMO): analytical, communication, organisational, technical and maybe IT skills. Technical skills are apparent from your CV and assessed at the application stage rather then the interview stage. If you're asked something like 'do you have any professional weaknesses', IT skills might be a useful scapegoat (even if they're actually strong), because they're not necessarily key. Expect questions asking 'how are your organisational/communication/analytical skills, and give me an example of when you applied them'.

The challenge seems to be to trawl through your life history and come up with examples of how you acquired/displayed these skills and then persuasively put them across in the interview. Practicing in front of TV cameras and family members, pets is recommended. I haven't overcome the cringe factor yet (you'd think I'd be inured given all the ****e interviews/wedding dancing/karaoke on TV via X Factor/You’re a Star/Strictly dancing bull****).

Prepare something on current legal issues and current business issues – and if you cannot answer a direct question, say so.

• Advertisement

I applied to ODSE in November and received a letter in acknowledgment saying 'please bear with us and we will be back in contract in due course'. I've heard nothing since. Sangre's remark makes me think I should contact them.

I have an interview with Frys next week which I'm trying to prepare for at moment. This will be my first proper job interview, so I'm ****ting the proverbial brick. I was reading about interviews generally, and essentially, when asking questions, the interviewer wants to know: 1) do you want the job, and 2) can you do the job. A generic questions like 'why do want to work with us/be a solicitor', 'tell me a bit about yourself' hit on both. Questions like 'where do see yourself in 3 years time' or 'what to do you think makes a good solicitor', mostly hit on point 2. Finishing question like - 'do you have any questions', 'will that be all?' are an opportunity to deliver a prepared summing up, which should again hit on both points.

Re point 1), show enthusism, motivation, energy etc, but also keep hitting on your legal credentials - this is something I've always wanted etc. Sound confident and competitive, but not arrogant or like a bull****ter either. If like me you say you did debating in college, and they ask 'why don't you pursue being a barrister' don't say, as I believe, 'It's too competitive, only 1/3 of barristers end up practicing, the financial risks are too high', say 'solicitors enjoy more client contact and so have the opportunity to build up working relationships with those in community', or 'solicitors tend to work more as part of a team, which something I enjoy' etc.

Re point 2), the key skills of a solicitor are (IMO): analytical, communication, organisational, technical and maybe IT skills. Technical skills are apparent from your CV and assessed at the application stage rather then the interview stage. If you're asked something like 'do you have any professional weaknesses', IT skills might be a useful scapegoat (even if they're actually strong), because they're not necessarily key. Expect questions asking 'how are your organisational/communication/analytical skills, and give me an example of when you applied them'.

The challenge seems to be to trawl through your life history and come up with examples of how you acquired/displayed these skills and then persuasively put them across in the interview. Practicing in front of TV cameras and family members, pets is recommended. I haven't overcome the cringe factor yet (you'd think I'd be inured given all the ****e interviews/wedding dancing/karaoke on TV via X Factor/You’re a Star/Strictly dancing bull****).

Prepare something on current legal issues and current business issues – and if you cannot answer a direct question, say so.

You seem to have it all fairly well worked out. However, I've highlighted what I think is the most important part, and if you launch out on a 5 minute prepared speech about how you really want to work for that particular firm and you see their eyes glaze over, you need to be able to cut it short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Glockenspiel has covered a lot of the basics, he seems to have it all worked out regarding how they'll come at you. Although I did mention money as a factor as why I didn't become a barrister, along with client/team/commercial setting. I try to be as honest as possible, we're all grown-ups here, no point ignoring financial realities. No harm not mentioning it though obviously.

Some very basics I'd advise. Go to all the drink receptions. Ask any trainees there for advice on getting through the interview. Try and find out who is interviewing you, see what area they are in. Study up on the firm but don't go over board on details, you're not expected to know in the and outs of their commercial transactions. They'll know you're waffling.

If you have an unsuccessful interview for the love of god ring them straight away for advice on where you went wrong. You'd be surprised how many are really accomodating about this, they know how hard it is to get through and not many people ring up.

Frys ask a general knowledge question at the end of the interview so make sure you are reading papers and the internet every day. Try and identify key areas. Some I'd expect are;

Lisbon Treaty and new vote
    Recession
    Future of legal practice
    etc.,

If you don't know the are at all don't bull**** it. I'd try with 'I don't know much about that area but if I had to make an educated guess...'

Big questions in an interview;

why did you pick your course
    why did you pick your college
    hobbies/sports/interests (show how these give you real world skills)
    work experience/jobs/part time jobs (show how these give you real world skills)
    examples of team work, conflict, delegation in real life
    why do you want to be a solicitor
    why do you want to work in this firm
    what skills can you bring to the firm
    what makes a good solicitor

Prepare for every interview like an exam. Place your hands on your knee or in your lap so you don't finish. Make sure you know your application/CV off by heart.

Advertisement