Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you watch bowling?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious as to why members here sit down and watch bowling tournaments and matches? This isn't designed as a flame, more a curiousity as I am also interested in a niche hobby / sport that hasn't quite made the leap to proper coverage or mainstream appeal. So I'm really wondering how elements from niche real life sports could be ported over / how people get interested in the first place...

So what is it about bowling that you love / love watching? What drew you to a favourite player or person that you are rooting for? Would you sit down and watch bowling or would it come under the category of more fun to do than watch?

Thanks!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Personally, I don't very often. Bowling is one of those sports that's far better to participate in that watch.

I do like seeing unusual styles, though.
    Especiall this guy...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I can only talk from my own experience. I love bowling. I love playing in tournaments and leagues. I like to watch the professionals bowl and see if there is anything I can pick up from them.

It's important to note that if you are watching US bowling on TV that it is likely you are watching Sports bowling. What's the difference? Well in normal bowling the oil is usually spread evenly across the lane for the first 45 feet. In Sports Bowling there are many different oil patterns used and each pattern has a major effect on how the ball travels and moves on the lane (where it slides, where it grips). This means that the bowler has to drastically adjust their position on the lane approach, what board they land the ball on on the lane and how far they let the ball travel in the air before hitting the lane.

Now, if you don't know any of that then it's just a bunch of guys throwing a ball at some pins but when you do know what's happening then the techniques applied become much more interesting to watch. Even when the oil patterns are regular it's always good to watch pros playing. Watching how they adjust their next ball when they miss the pocket (between the 1 and 3 pin for a right hander, 1 and 2 for a left hander) the first time can teach you a lot.

So speaking for myself, I enjoy the tension of watching evenly matched players going up against one another and seeing who can maintain the technical accuracy over a ten frame game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

That youtube clip is classic!!!

Any body remember a chap called Stephen Kenna???

First guy I seen with an unorthodox but highly effective style. Some people bitched and moaned about him but he won alot of tournaments if memory serves me correctly. Last time I seen him must have been 15 years ago and he told me he was going to try go pro but never heard any more.

Oh and just to answer the original post, playing bowling is a great buzz, watching it meh.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skenna

Hi . I
    it's me . Thanks for the comments. do you still bowl or would i know you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

how sad would you really have to be to create another account just to post that lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

skenna wrote: »
    Hi . I
    it's me . Thanks for the comments. do you still bowl or would i know you ?

I do not still bowl but I played on the Crumlin House Team with you many years ago! Did you ever get to the US????

Advertisement