Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone watch that New Year's Day concert on the telly?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

It's on again. The Strauss Waltzes. The ballet dancers. The scenery around Vienna. It's been on every New Year's day for as long as I'm on the planet.

It begs the question though - does anybody actually watch it? Would anyone miss it if it was taken off? Is it really live or do they just repeat the same concert year after year?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Never heard of it tbh.

EDIT. PS from your description i don't think i would ever be bothered watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

My mother watches it every year. I watched some of it this year, during the final piece, a few musicians left every few minutes until there was just one left to end off the piece.

It was celebrating some Austrian composer from 200 years ago. I'm not sure if it was live this year as RTE 2 and BBC 2 were out of sync by a few minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Say what? When was it on, where?
    Nope, not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's on again. The Strauss Waltzes. The ballet dancers. The scenery around Vienna. It's been on every New Year's day for as long as I'm on the planet.

It begs the question though - does anybody actually watch it? Would anyone miss it if it was taken off? Is it really live or do they just repeat the same concert year after year?

Me arse. Red Bull & Viking metal ftw of a mouldy morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nodin wrote: »
    Me arse. Red Bull & Viking metal ftw of a mouldy morning.

I like your advice.:cool:

• Advertisement

my husband thought it was mass

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

never heard of it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Am 25 and I watch it every year - love it & I would miss it if it were taken off the air. I'm probably weird though. I love the Radetzky March at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I watch it most years. I missed it this year though. I like Classical music but the selection in this concert is always crap. It is aristocratic Austrian waltzes, not Mozart, Beethoven or Bach. The tickets for this concert sell out 364 days before the next one and touts sell them for 10,000 euro, so I have heard.

If they had a better selection I'd definitely make it a ritual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I watch it most years. I missed it this year though. I like Classical music but the selection in this concert is always crap. It is aristocratic Austrian waltzes, not Mozart, Beethoven or Bach. The tickets for this concert sell out 364 days before the next one and touts sell them for 10,000 euro, so I have heard.

You've just reminded me that, without all of the classical music, they'd just be left with Fritzl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The concert is based on the music of various members of the Strauss family, so the selection is by definition limited as it's always going to have more waltzes, marches and polkas than anything else. They do also throw in some music by other composers occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

you've lost me OP

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Never heard of it tbh.

EDIT. PS from your description i don't think i would ever be bothered watching it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

For those of you who haven't heard of it, stick in 'New Years Concert Vienna' into 'You Tube' and you'll see what it's like.

Have been to Austria and in particular Vienna several times and I just love the place. Love the music too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

i bid for tickets for it for the last 2 years but didnt get them. you have to enter a lottery to buy tickets for it in jan/feb for the next year. the very very cheap seats are 200 yoyos but thousands of people from around the world enter so it is very hard to get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never heard of it either. Sounds like a bit of a snore fest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Never heard of it either. Sounds like a bit of a snore fest tbh.

Oh no it's not a snore fest it's beautiful! Well if you like classical music - this is some of the greatest music ever written - it's really refreshing to just wake up on New Year Day and sit down and watch it - the Vienna Philharmonic are incredible - i'd love to be able to play an instrument the way they play theirs....ok i'm getting a bit too excited now....LOL::D No but seriously i do love it - the Radetzky March at the end is brilliant, and the Blue Danube:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a eurovision production, every member state shows it live (ish) on New Years morning. I think its meant to remind us that there are higher levels to reach for after a night on the pish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_New_Year's_Concert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I know very little about classical music but this concert is unmissable on TV every year.
    Would absolutely love to go.
    The pieces with the stallions from the Spanish Riding School is really something to see.
    The whole show just operates at a different level.
    Now is the time if you want to enter the lottery for 2010.
    €940 for a ticket !

• Advertisement
Advertisement