Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry Booking Question

Options
  • 01-01-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

When booking to France or UK, do you book by length or by height. Our MH is up 2.6m and up to 8m long, but we don't know which option to choose when getting a quote as there is a masive price difference.... don't want to book the cheaper option only to run into trouble when we arrive at the ferry:D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Baybay

I just had a quick look at the Irish Ferries website and there is quite a bit of information there that may help you.
    It would seem that height is the more important but do check it out as they say incorrectly booked vehicles may have to be denied access. I'm guessing there is probably more space available for 'normal' height cars with trailers, rear bike racks etc than there might be for higher vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We always book based on height, ours is 3.1m high and it's never be questioned on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

ShirleyH wrote: »
    When booking to France or UK, do you book by length or by height. Our MH is up 2.6m and up to 8m long, but we don't know which option to choose when getting a quote as there is a masive price difference.... don't want to book the cheaper option only to run into trouble when we arrive at the ferry:D

Thanks

You should coose based on the height over 2.4m high. The pricing has changed for irish ferries this year. Last year when i checked a MH was the same price as a car for me for the time i wanted to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think height is more important than length, particularly on a busy sailing.

Put it this way - you don't want your 2.6m high van going into a lane which only has 2.4m clearance because you booked it as 2.4m

The length is less sensitive - you will likely be in with (or in front of) the freight vehicles and they don't really measure every vehicle to get the last metre of lane filled up.

I guess it also depends on the vessel you will be on - most ferries I have been on have had full height (freight) and half height (car) lanes. There may be some vessels which only have full height lanes in which case the booked height isn't really going to impact things.

z

Advertisement