Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Krypton Factor is BACK!!!

Options
  • 01-01-2009 12:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I was just checking the tv listings and this is back on telly tonight, a whole new series!!

The old show was a favourite of mine as a kid so this is rather intriguing, I feel obliged to check it out!

I wonder will they have the flight simulator, and the assault course? And will they still give the women a head-start? :D

Tis on at 7.30 on TV3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wow, loved that show, when you say TV3 though, i assume its been brought from ITV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would hope so, although probably more laughable moments if not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I can't wait to watch this! Loved it when I was younger. I wonder what games they'll have them all playing..?

Edit: Just realised it's only on for half an hour, was it always that short?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I loved this when I was younger.. but we all saw how disappointing Gladiators was when they brought it back.

Remember the final flight simulator challenge.. that looked bright, cheap and tacky back then, but fun. It's gonna look too real in this one I bet! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

We've got Stephen going to an episode today and we look forward to his opinion. But Tom Scott also went yesterday and he's sent us this at 1:30am:

"YES it's pretty good and NO they haven't ruined it.

YES they've kept the Krypton K and YES it transforms (in a FANTASTIC new Transformers-movie style) into the round logos YES the assault course is back, and it's... odd, but interesting.

YES the set is bloody fantastic and possibly the best part of the whole revival. Seriously, watch it just for the set design, it's spectacular.

YES they've changed the theme tune and it's not remotely related to the Art of Noise one, but it's really very good YES I am annoyed that our section of the audience lost the quiz that the warm-up guy held during a set reshuffle, but that's because I'm overly competitive

NO, there is no Response Round. The flight simulator's been cut for time.
    NO, the contestants do not wear something the same colour as their assigned seat.
    NO, Ben Shephard is not Gordon Burns and he isn't trying to be.
    NO, Ben Shephard does not say "the end of the round, the end of the contest" and NO, "Activate the Cube" is not a good replacement catchphrase. The heart monitor that they rig up during the Mental Agility test is a pretty good gimmick, though.

Interesting stuff: it's sponsored by a certain software company and it looks like the sponsor credit flows directly into the opening titles, which must surely be sailing very close to the wind as far as OFCOM regs are concerned...

Oh, and NO, it's not a particularly good show to watch being taped but I reckon it'll stand up well when compared to the original."

Also:

"YES, Ben Shephard always sums up rounds with something like "in the lead, with a Krypton Factor of 30, is the milkman from Oswaldtwistle, Reginald Grumsbottom".

This is good."

Forget Web 2.0, Bother's Bar's already on Web 3.5 with it's user-generated content. Anyway, I think I'm now OFFICIALLY really excited. Thanks Tom!

The lack of response round isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but I think the show could probably do with a second physical-based test. Or perhaps they could double the points for the assault course... probably not.

So, no flight simulator, all other rounds return, mental tests should be good craic!

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    So, no flight simulator, all other rounds return, mental tests should be good craic!
    Awww...

No flight simulator + hosted by Ben Shepherd = no watchie! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ben Shephard? FFS :mad:

Flight simulator ruled. Would love to watch some of the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was quite good actually. Definitely not a walkover either... you need to be seriously smart and fit to do well in that show. I'll set the series link on this one - I liked it.

Xavi6 - the old ones used to be shown on challenge. Keep an eye out, I'm sure they'll be repeated.

I forgot all about it, only saw from the assault course on. The first guy to cross the line was in bits!! And they still give the head start to the women:)

Shepherd mentioned that the winner goes through to the semi finals, so how long has this been on for?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Something tells me that health and safety regulations mean we won't be seeing anything like these scenes on the assault course again.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7579680795969390343
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0W6mNsA2dw

Have to admire their determination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is the first week. If they need 4 for the finals, then there will be 4 in each semi-final, so there will be 16 semi-finalists altogether. I think the highest scoring runner up in each group goes through to semi finals automatically, so that makes 15 episodes by my reckoning (15 weeks altogether).

transylman wrote: »
    Something tells me that health and safety regulations mean we won't be seeing anything like these scenes on the assault course again.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7579680795969390343
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0W6mNsA2dw

Have to admire their determination.
    That ''death slide'' is a fúcking death trap!!

In the first clip I noticed it was way too high, but I assumed there was water all the way underneath. But in the second clip there's only water where they land!! :eek: What if they fall at the start!? They'd do some serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Thought that first episode was really good.

The first challenge looks very difficult and the noise they play when the contestant gets something wrong is really off-putting!

The rest of the challenges were good too, you really do need to be on top of your game, in fitness and intelligence.

Good to see a quiz on itv/tv3 that isn't aimed at, or starring, the dredges of society.

Myself and girlfriend sat down and watched episode 1 just there (as was watching 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' when it was on earlier).

Thought it was average at best.. still smarmy contestants with their irritating smiles (student from Cambridge deserved a boot in the 'ead). Missed the flight simulator, assault course wasn't nearly as entertaining as it used to be.

Probably will watch one or two more but not particularly pushed.. can't stand Ben Shephard and his comment that every single area on the assault course was "incredibly difficult" and the "most difficult area" yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Pretty disapointing I thought, maybe it just seemed cooler when I was a kid.

I'd rather see the Crystal Maze come back anyway.

belleray wrote: »
    Agree 100%.. was watching this the other day and realised how great it would be to have this back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

belleray wrote: »

Only if they didn't change a thing about it and could get Baldy back to host it, otherwise it would suck imo

Why won't tv execs leave my childhood alone? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

not being able to watch all 4 race for the finish on the assault course was bad. hated the shakey first person view stuff.

Advertisement