Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iqon Laptop problem - wont start

Options
  • 31-12-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Have a problem with Iqon Laptop ..........I press F8 to enter safe mode ... brings me to safe mode screen etc ...............

However , when I press enter it will go no further ......no matter what I do

It seems to start windows correctly.....so hard drive must be Ok ..........
    I dont have a boot disk..... but the product key is on the underside

Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

is it XP or vista your using? if you have an installation disk you could try a repair install , could fix your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

papu wrote: »
    is it XP or vista your using? if you have an installation disk you could try a repair install , could fix your troubles.

dont have installation disk........... its windows xp home edition

would some other installation disk cure the problem ?

If you got your hands on an Xp home Disk the same can be done , sounds most likely like a curropt windows install , a fresh install would fix it , but that means loosing all your data , aswell as the pain of trying to find drivers for anything , any kind of recovery disk or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

There's usually a recovery partition on Iqon machines . Try hitting F10 during POST .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Advertisement

I have a disk called '' Microsoft Office XP'' is this the correct disk?

I tried hitting F10 ... no response ( dont understan what above means ''during POST '

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have a disk called '' Microsoft Office XP'' is this the correct disk?

I tried hitting F10 ... no response ( dont understan what above means ''during POST '
    Not the disk you need. POST = Power On Self-Test; means hit F10 immediately after powering on.

Not your ornery onager

I have just noticed that the 'enter' button Left one - appears to be stuck.

Could this be a reason for not been able to use safe mode ....

and is it easy to get at this button if i open it up underneath ?

any help appreciated

I have just noticed that the 'enter' button Left one - appears to be stuck.

Could this be a reason for not been able to use safe mode ....

and is it easy to get at this button if i open it up underneath ?

any help appreciated

probably not , the button should come off with a knife or flathead and a bit of precision , be careful , if theres a spring under it it might caterpult a piece off , just be careful there delicate and hard to put back , it probably isn't the problem though

The laptop will load to desktop , but the task-bar remains blank .

It is an IQON TESCO Laptop

Is ther anything can be done to fix it , without an installation disk.
    Or is there an installation disk available out there ?

• Advertisement

Do you mean the taskbar is not visible? When you bring the mouse to the bottom of the screen, does the taskbar appear? (You might also try the other three sides of the screen, in case you had previously inadvertently dragged the task there).

If it does, right-click the taskbar and go to Properties. Then untick the option 'Auto-hide the taskbar', and ensure the option 'Keep the taskbar on top of other windows' is ticked.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Do you mean the taskbar is not visible? When you bring the mouse to the bottom of the screen, does the taskbar appear? .

No . The taskbar wont load up at all . Just the bubble running continuously.

Can't us laptop at all .

So, the laptop is booting further now than in the original scenario? Can you interrupt the boot process with F8, then go for Last Known Good Configuration, or boot in Safe Mode?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ClaudiusDrusus

Is the problem sorted? If not what model do you have? I mught have a recovery disk for you.

Advertisement