Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callcards / Phonecards - Worthless??

Options
  • 31-12-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is there any market for Irish phonecards anymore???

I have over £1,000 (face value) of mint phonecards in my collection, together with a fairly decent used collection.

However, I'm getting the feeling my former hobby/nestegg in't going to make me rich :)

If anyone has any information on a value or marketplace, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

The arse fell out of the market for these a good while ago, I don't think anyone collects them now and I can't see anyone paying money for them in the future, you might get a few euros for them on ebay, my advice would be just to hold onto them, or they give a nice warm fire on these cold nights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

www.ebay.co.uk currently has 5,474 items listed under phonecard with quite a number of items attracting bids so it is not quite correct to say that there is no market for them anymore. That said if you were collecting phonecards as an investment you should hand them on to your grandchildren. Burning them would not be very PC and might poison you! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

You can get a reference book on them in Easons. I used to collect them as it never cost me a lot back in the day as every one used to throw them away .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

I never thought this would happen, but I think opening them and spending the £1k worth of calls they have on them may be the way to go :(

Thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Wacko wrote: »
    The arse fell out of the market for these a good while ago,................ they give a nice warm fire on these cold nights :D

LOL ... years of hard collecting and financial investment shot down in a single post ! carefully and tactfully done Wacko !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Please do not open them! I just recently started collecting Irish Callcards again years after giving up the hobby as a kid and I'm really enjoying it. The market is pretty depressed at the moment, but I'm buying cards and I'm sure other people are too. I definitely would urge you not to use the cards (and certainly don't burn them), that would be a terrible waste. It is a fairly unpopular hobby these days, but you could try selling them on adverts.ie, I bought a large collection there a while back :)

Danco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beerman

Hi all. I'm looking to make a large montage artwork using callcards and was hoping people might be willing to forward any old/duplicate cards that they have.

I'm not looking for mint condition cards only used cards so the true collectors need not fear, but I do need as great a variety as possible.

I'm sure there are people out there who collected these back in the nineties with shoe boxes full of them gathering dust in a shed somewhere and I'm hoping as opposed to leaving them rot away or throwing them out in a couple of years that you might be willing to give them a new lease of life.

So anyone interested in donating their old collection please PM me and I'll contact you in relation to collection. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 foxtrot1983

whats up danco i just started recollecting again last year too so your not alone, if you want to tarde i would be happy to swaap or sell my extras

shaneodriscoll83@yahoo.co.uk:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Hey foxtrot,

Did you ever get that email I sent to your Yahoo account? I sent it the day you posted but I haven't heard anything since. Are you still interested in swapping / selling Callcards? I'd be interested to hear what spares you have so please pm me if you get a chance.

Cheers,
    Danco

Advertisement