Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked!! what to do?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi all. im posting on behalf of a friend of mine who just had his full tilt account hacked. the villain managed hijack the account and attempted to withdraw his entire bankroll. when the villains attempt failed, he proceded to blow his entire roll (~30k) playing 25/50.

fulltilt have confirmed that the account was hijacked but maintain that since the money was lost in 'legitimate hands against legitimate players', they cannot compensate my friend in any way.

is there any action that can be taken, legal or otherwise, to get some/all of the cash back?

should fulltilt accept some/all of the responsibility in this situation?

cheers

T

Comments

TMoney wrote: »
    hi all. im posting on behalf of a friend of mine who just had his full tilt account hacked. the villain managed hijack the account and attempted to withdraw his entire bankroll. when the villains attempt failed, he proceded to blow his entire roll (~30k) playing 25/50.

fulltilt have confirmed that the account was hijacked but maintain that since the money was lost in 'legitimate hands against legitimate players', they cannot compensate my friend in any way.

is there any action that can be taken, legal or otherwise, to get some/all of the cash back?

should fulltilt accept some/any of the responsibility in this situation?

cheers

T

Difficult situation that. I presume the best thing your friend could do is try to work with FT to identify the hacker and in turn take action against the little fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

all smells a bit funny to me tbh

how do full tilt know the account was hijacked and that your mate wanst playing wasted one night and blew the loot?

how did the villain try and withdraw the funds and how did it fail? since it failed how was the villain able to play with the funds?

what was the point of the villain playing with the money if he couldnt get his hands on any of it? was an investigation carried out to see if the loot was shipped to one person in particular?

im the suspicious type and i would suggest your mate blew the loot playing drunk and is trying to save face in which case full tilt are in no way responsible..

im sorry if im off the mark but the whole story just doesnt ad up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

With 30k at stake I suggest a visit to a solicitor to check his rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TMoney

bubbleking wrote: »
    all smells a bit funny to me tbh

how do full tilt know the account was hijacked and that your mate wanst playing wasted one night and blew the loot?

how did the villain try and withdraw the funds and how did it fail? since it failed how was the villain able to play with the funds?

what was the point of the villain playing with the money if he couldnt get his hands on any of it? was an investigation carried out to see if the loot was shipped to one person in particular?

im the suspicious type and i would suggest your mate blew the loot playing drunk and is trying to save face in which case full tilt are in no way responsible..

im sorry if im off the mark but the whole story just doesnt ad up

helpful responses only please.. the situation is as stated in my original post. your unwarranted skepticism doesnt really help in any way

jhegarty wrote: »
    With 30k at stake I suggest a visit to a solicitor to check his rights.

yeah this looks like the best course of action at this stage. Fulltilt's 'you got hacked, tough sh*t' attitude is a bit frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭percy007

Surely FT can give you the IP address that the theft took place from?

percy007 wrote: »

Indeed

percy007 wrote: »

Fulltilt have provided an IP address which is obviously the best place to start investigating the circumstances which lead to his account being hacked. Unfortunately i presume whoever hacked his account would be smart enough not to use his home computer.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Recon20k

Nice one for starting this thread Tmoney.
    It was my account that got hacked. They hackd my email address and requested a password change for the ftp account then when they couldnt withdraw they blew the money playing 5-10 to 25-50. I am in ireland and the hacker logged in from the states.
    Serious security flaw there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

should fulltilt accept some/all of the responsibility in this situation?

cheers

T
    This sounds terrible, but it's a boards rule that you cannot seek Legal Advice on a specific case. I would seriously suggest you get your friend to contact a solicitor as 30k is nothing to sneeze at (http://www.lawsociety.ie).

I won't lock the thread as this may have happened to others who may have advice about what they did (non legal) or what solicitors they used.

Ste05

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Fulltilt have provided an IP address which is obviously the best place to start investigating the circumstances which lead to his account being hacked. Unfortunately i presume whoever hacked his account would be smart enough not to use his home computer.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.
    hacker most likely did it from an Internet Cafe. It would be fairly easy to match the times the hacker played and pair it with the Cafes CCTV if they have it. But I cant see the Cafe handing over that footage too easily. Very difficult spot for your mate. I presume its the same guy who just started a thread in NNG on 2+2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Recon20k wrote: »
    I am in ireland and the hacker logged in from the states.
    Serious security flaw there.

Yea it is, there should be a system implemented that you have to inform Full Tilt of the IP addresses you are going to playing on the account with... If you try to log in from another IP address, you account would be blocked/temporarily suspended.

Could get annoying for some players though, especially those who travel regularly to live MTT's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They hackd my email address
    Does fulltilt make users' email addresses available to other users? How would they have known what your email address or provider is?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Recon20k

sceptre wrote: »
    Does fulltilt make users' email addresses available to other users? How would they have known what your email address or provider is?

unfortunatley i had the same username for my ftp account "ungarstuddy" under ungarstuddy@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

It's more likely that they got into your email, read there that you had a full tilt account, requested a password change, and then went on from there. You should also be contacting Google at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

ugh this really sucks. hope you get some form of compensation recon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

Ugh Stuey this is so sick I feel for ya man hope to god u get something back.Glad to hear ur 20k mission was accomplished though u can do it again sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

I have only once ever had an email account hacked. I signed up for something off tech crunch or a site like that but what I signed up for was one of those sites that asks for you email password so it can see if your contacts are there ala face book. I think it was some sort of twitter global map thing. Not sure though.

About 2 days later I "spammed" a few contacts from that account. My work account being one of them and the GF being another. As it was not an account I used much I just deleted all the contacts.

A few weeks later I had issues getting into my vBulletin account. Then I couldn't get into the email account. At that stage I knew something was not right. I informed google who, after their investigation and seeing no issue, for security reasons told me to start a new account. :rolleyes:

Luckily I had another account linked to it via reseting the password. When I got into the account it had been used as a spamming account. There were like 10's of 1000's of email sent from it as spam! You can imagine my follow up email to Google support!

I can't help you with your issue but I have learnt a lesson. I hate to say this but I doubt there is much you can do to get your cash back. Your poker accounts, email addys and passwords have not a lot to do with FT or Google. :(

The police etc are your best hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

...Serious security flaw there.

Sorry for your trouble but I don't see where there is any security issue regarding the poker company. Your email account was compromised and thats all there is to it.

Seriously folks we are playing poker with real money and it is up to us to make sure it is secure.
    Because of the way we operate on the internet our e mail account is the front line of internet security.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I got this in an email a while back,I think this may have been posted here before but for those that maybe haven't seen it and use gmail.
    Gmail hacking tool can be downloaded on the web. If you have not changed your settings in Gmail to always use https, this thing will allow any webpage that feels like it to automatically steal your Gmail account.

To secure your account, log in, click "Settings" on the far right corner of your screen, then scroll to the bottom and select the"Always use https" option.

You can read more here.

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Why_You_Should_Turn_Gmail_s_SSL_Feature_On_Now

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

What sort of horrible bastu*d would you have to be to to that to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Was that your entire bankroll? I know it's too late now, but it was a really bad idea to keep it all in your account. Use a credit card with a + balance on it or a debit card and only put money in the account that you're actually going to play with there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

just a quick word on the login destination thingy............i was playing on fulltilt through a wireless router and it was only after a software update by fulltilt that i could not register for an area specific tourney, i noticed on my login history that i was logging in from germany, despite being from ireland.........unplugged the router...plugged it in again......logged back in......checked where it logged in from, and it said hartlepool england......3rd time, washington US.....etcetc

LIASED WITH FULLTILT TECH SUPPORT THROUGH SEVERAL EMAILS.........all my settings were correct on my laptop..........direct connection via ethernet cable to laptop displayed all logins from ireland, all connections via the router were random...........was informed by fulltilt just before xmas that my account and my dads account were suspended until photo id and proof of address had been forwarded by both of us.(sent passport photos and copies of bills via email) they wont accept the bills as they cant read the small print at the bottom, i can barely read it myself and i got it in front of me.(referred a mate from cork to the site and they closed his the day after mine, luckily he withdrew the lot before that happened and joined another site)..............fulltilt security is not up to scratch, there is no way to contact them by phone and customer support are a bunch of monkeys who push back with pre rehearsed email responses............only got 400 bucks in that account but cant be arsed as of now to deal with the muppets.

Dont get me started on theyre payment processors and the rest of the business acumen used.............id need a full hour in the shrinks chair to get it off my chest.........400 bucks wouldnt cover it, im getting away cheap...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just my 2c theory... Is it possible that the hacker got a few of his cronies involved and lost the money to them?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

esel wrote: »
    Just my 2c theory... Is it possible that the hacker got a few of his cronies involved and lost the money to them?

chip dumping would of the first thing FT would of checked so I doubt this happened.

No offense OP, buth aving your SN the same as your email name is a shocking error on your part. Personnally I use a specific email acc for all poker transactions which I never give out to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

This is a really horrible situation and it is **** to think that this can actually happen. Here's a link to a good article on security that went up on pocketfives a few months back. I thought it might be helpful for those who are worried about the safety of their accounts.

http://www.pocketfives.com/poker-articles/computer-security-for-online-poker-players-3325847

Advertisement