Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Old railway lines in West Cork

Options
  • 31-12-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone point me to a reliable map.Im trying to figure out how the railway got through Bandon and also it's course in the Inchigeela area. Thx
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

corktina wrote: »
    can anyone point me to a reliable map.Im trying to figure out how the railway got through Bandon and also it's course in the Inchigeela area. Thx

I don't think there is anything of old route through the town left. It entered the town on what was now the road to cork. There was no road there then. There is two former stations there, the county council offices and kelehers diy.

Afaik the tracks headed north from there, but I am not sure exactly where as everything is lone gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ttc028

corktina wrote: »

You can access the old O.S. maps on the Cork County Council planning website (Note this requires Internet Explorer and you will have to install Autodesk MapGuide viewer, which is free.)

Cork Co. Co. here

http://213.94.218.86/planningenquiryv3/LAResources/info.aspx

I just tried it, and the railway route is clearly visible going through Bandon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

had a look at that. Its not clear (to me) exactly where the line was. I know where it was to the east and west but how did it get through the town?

If you zoom in closely on Bandon town, the option to select the 6" OSI B&W Raster Maps will appear on the left hand side, select this (and de-select the planning applications!) and you should be able to see the old maps. If not, PM me and I'll try and help.

Forgot to add, you even have the option to superimpose current aerial photography over the old maps to see what has happened to the old line!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ttc028 wrote: »
    If you zoom in closely on Bandon town, the option to select the 6" OSI B&W Raster Maps will appear on the left hand side, select this (and de-select the planning applications!) and you should be able to see the old maps. If not, PM me and I'll try and help.

Forgot to add, you even have the option to superimpose current aerial photography over the old maps to see what has happened to the old line!

wow , that's great info. Any idea on the year of that map ?

• Advertisement

I think they are from the 1920's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bandon -there was a short tunnel through the town. I think there was anything up to 4 stations at various stages.

The Viceregal Commission map here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Ireland give a good indication of all the "public" railways.

There was no railway near Inchigeelagh. The Macroom line finished at Macroom and the West Cork line went Bandon-Dunmany-Drimoleague-Bantry.

srry i meant Innishannon...the tunnel is the explanation I have sought! Which station was the last used? was it the one you can still see just in towards the town from the "steam" roller? Hardly I would guess and where was the line to the Distilery?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go here http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user= and go to Ballinhassig. The old railway is marked with a single, broken black like, the same as a farm track. It is about 1.5km west of Ballinhassig on a generally north-south curve.

Heading west from the tunnel at Ballinhassig, it headed down the southern face of the hills towards Cross Barry, staying parallel to and north of the R589 until Kileady, wher eit crossed the road and continued parallel to and south of the R589 before heading for Upton. It then followed the Brinny valley south to the Bandon Valley, before crossing the Brinny, entering a tunnel, crossing the Bandon River, entering another tunnel (you can see this form the N71 in the cliff face) and followed the south bank of the river to Bandon. I think the tunnel in Bandon passed under the church. West of Bandon it followed the N71 as far as the church at Gaggan.

Johnson's Gazetteer would be useful.

aha...I didnt expect it to turn so sharply north! I was expecting it to pass alongside Inishannon some how! Thanks a lot for the..I can quite clearly see the tunnel beneath the Church car park etc (also spotted a MASSIVE hill fort north of Brinny....

• Advertisement
Advertisement