Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE sticking the Nuacht in the middle of movies

Options
  • 31-12-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Was just watching Attack of the Clones on RTE One, and the ad break comes on and says the movie will continue in 10 mins, and the Nuacht comes on. This is the second time during the Xmas, that I was watching something on RTE and they did this.

What annoys me even more, is the break for the nuacht came at about 5pm, and RTE are doing Six One news, at six o'clock. Only an hour later! Its not like it was Dances with Wolves which is 3 days long and they need to bring people up to speed with what is going on in the world.

Its bad enough they put in Ad breaks in movies, but forcing you to watch the Nuacht?

/rant

I am going to write a letter to complain about it. Would anyone be interested in also complaining?

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

its about the standard of broadcasting id expect from rte.. only in ireland will your film be interrupted by a newscast in a language that most of the population doesnt understand.. not a whole lot of good complaining is going to do, they wont change it. just use the 10 minutes to make a nice cuppa and pretend your in a country where state agencies actually work..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if they did it in yoda talk it wouldn't have been so bad:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Nuacht has been at 5.20pm for years and always has been. So that is why programs are interrupted to allow the nuacht to be shown. It is like the Angelus fixed in time.

Seeing as we now have TG4 for all our nuacht needs why do RTE 1 need to show it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

ITV do it too. They always break movies for the news at ten (or at least used to)....which means you have a 30 min break in the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

In France, the news has to be shown at 8 in the evening, hence Champions league games and International matches always start after 8.

Get over it OP, Clone wars is a crap film anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its daft, even crap filums should be shown correctly, chuck "An Nuggart" to 5.50 and everyone will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Thats what you get when RTE know we can't do sh1t except pay are licence every year

I'm getting a monitor as my TV, **** them *****

Digital media > *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In France, the news has to be shown at 8 in the evening, hence Champions league games and International matches always start after 8.

Get over it OP, Clone wars is a crap film anyhow.

No I wont get over it. BTW it was attack of the clones not the Clone Wars, but thats neither hear nor there.

I paid good money for that license, i rarely watch RTE apart from the news and primetime, but this really annoys me, and I am going to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yawnsome.

Complain all you want, but Irish bashing tends not to go over well at the official level. BBC, UTV and any other multi-purpose stations regularly interupts their long films (and Attack is over two hours without adverts, so it certainly is no 'Phone Booth') for news or lottery broadcasts.

Care to complain to them all?
    Maybe those unclean people in Dingle and Connemara should wait their turn to see the news until after you find out if 'Anny' really does love princess robotic. We all know which is far more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

syklops wrote: »
    and I am going to do something about it.

What are you going to do?

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »

I'm guessng that because he pays for a TV license (that only makes up 40% of RTE's revenues in the first place) he thinks he has a right to decree that they change their scheduling, even though the same fact that he pays also means RTE is a public service, meaning it must also provide public services.

A 15 minute Irish-langauge news show with a fixed time is far from an unreasonable suggestion. Would you like it if you wanted to see the Six-One and it was shifted to 7:30pm because some pausable film happened to over-lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I'm with amazetheamazing, I think you should get over it syklops. You'd be better off complaining about a whole lot of other shortcomings in our State broadcaster. Now, there's an idea for a solid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm amazed people actually watch the news at a fixed time these days, sky and the internet have made it redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Attack of the Syklops (with a break for news)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What am I going to do?

Would a petition of a few thousand names saying they were never going to watch a movie on RTE again because they ruin them with too many ad breaks and breaks for the news do any good? Maybe it will, maybe it wont. I wont know until i find out.

A letter to RTE explaining my gripe, and getting a few friends and family to send a similar letter might get answered.

Barring that there is always Joe Duffy. Then I can also bring up the other issues I have with RTE.

I am not language bashing at all, there is nothing wrong with the Nuacht, but if I sit down to watch a film, then I only want to be interrupted by ads or the news, I just want to watch the film.

If the readers of this forum want to tell me to shut up and get over it, fine, mods please lock my thread. However, if everyone took that approach, that your not going to change anything by complaining to those that are in charge, that trying to change the world is impossible for a handful of people, then this country would still be under British rule.

syklops wrote: »
    What am I going to do?

Would a petition of a few thousand names saying they were never going to watch a movie on RTE again because they ruin them with too many ad breaks and breaks for the news do any good? Maybe it will, maybe it wont. I wont know until i find out.

A letter to RTE explaining my gripe, and getting a few friends and family to send a similar letter might get answered.

Barring that there is always Joe Duffy. Then I can also bring up the other issues I have with RTE.

I am not language bashing at all, there is nothing wrong with the Nuacht, but if I sit down to watch a film, then I only want to be interrupted by ads or the news, I just want to watch the film.

If the readers of this forum want to tell me to shut up and get over it, fine, mods please lock my thread. However, if everyone took that approach, that your not going to change anything by complaining to those that are in charge, that trying to change the world is impossible for a handful of people, then this country would still be under British rule.

Again, it's public service, on a partly publicly funded station - that there is a regularly scheduled Irish-langauge news show just as there is a regularly scheduled English-langauge news show is a broadcasting requirement for RTE.

Petitioning RTE will not change the fact it has to fulfill certain public service requirements to get your oh-so-precious funding in the first place.

On the adverts issue you've lost before you begin - RTE cannot (by law) show as many adverts per hour as fully commerical stations like TV3, again an effect of your precious pennies.

You honestly should have known these things if you're planning to make a petition with 'thousands of names' as it's envitably going to be thrown in your face and it de-values your argument completely.

Everyone doesn't watch everything and until on-demand Irish television is a reality you'll just have to accept the fact your mid-day matinees will sometimes be interupted.

But by all means, waste you time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

krudler wrote: »
    I'm amazed people actually watch the news at a fixed time these days, sky and the internet have made it redundant

Sky show shag all in the way of Irish news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would agree with you 100% there.

Sky have no irish news at all now. They had Sky News Ireland. Half an hour of Irish news content per day. It failed and was withdrawn. I doubt it will ever return.

Advertisement