Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help

Options
  • 31-12-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. Really need advice here. My friends family have a gorgeous german shepard 5 yrs old. She is NEVER walked. Maybe once every 3 wks/month for about 20 mins.She is kept in their back yard (not very big) and has access to a lane which I suppose she can run around in. She's fed every day and gets attention from the family, they let her run around the house. However,being such a big energetic dog she needs her daily walks which she just isnt getting. This really bothers me and I dont know what to do? I have mentioned it to my friend, but theres no change? Is this neglect, or could the attention she's getting be sufficient? I know it would break their hearts to have her taken away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As to my limited knowledge of the law, adequate food and shelter are the only proviosions in there. So even if you reported it, nothing would happen as legally speaking this dog seems to be well cared for.

Maybe you could sugest walking the dog yourself (together with your friend)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hey i found that families can be terrible sometimes for taking on the responsibility of who walks the dog! All the members have busy lives and assume that others are doing it. Maybe suggest a neighbour teenager could walk the dog for €20 a week or something? Obv someone who is able to handle the dog properly!! 13/14 yr olds would love the bit of cash!

Also what peasant said is very good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭sarah101

The suggestion to pay someone to walk the dog is a good one. However as GSDs are on the restricted breed list they must be walked by someone aged sixteen or over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

peasant wrote: »
    Maybe you could sugest walking the dog yourself (together with your friend)?

this is the best option because if you are concerned enough to consider reporting them you care enough about the dog to make a personal commitment.

you are obviously close enough to the family to know exactly how many times the dog gets walked so it shouldn't be a problem for them to let you the dog out for a bit.

just a warning however, in my household dogs are considered family memebers, and no one likes being told how to raise their children. (i'm not saying the family is right or wrong but be careful you might unintentionally hurt someones feelings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

try and offer to walk the dog. make some excuse about needing the exercise yourself or something if need be, as you can't really blatantly say I think you're neglecting your dog without causing offense which could mean they don't want you around anymore. Even if you took her out every other day it would improve her life immensely I'm sure. Good luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Well said kerrysgold

Advertisement