Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little dog pregnant by medium dog

Options
  • 31-12-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My small dog got out while in season. She is a Jack Russell approx 11" high. When we got outside to her she had been with a dog twice her size approx 20 - 22" high. If she is pregnant by this dog will it cause any problems, it does say on the internet that a big dog can, but is not supposed to mate with a small dog, but what is the definition between small and big. We will take to a vet after christmas to get advice. But was wondering if anyone would have an idea if this size deference is of any great consequence. Thanks :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That is not a big size difference, so I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

Would you consider having her spayed (neutered) now, before it's too late in the pregnancy?

If you decide to go ahead and let her have the pups, this will present a lot of difficulties and expense, but at least you will be able to draw on a lot of advice here.

Mum will need extra nourishment now and a worm-dose, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

boomerang wrote: »
    Would you consider having her spayed (neutered) now, before it's too late in the pregnancy?

Alot of vets will refuse to neuter a pregnant dog. It is not healthy to neuter the dog during a pregnancy (alot of dogs white blood cell count is not very stable during pregnancy so doing surgery is not always recommended).So you would have to ring the vet up and ask.

My mothers boyfriends dog was a tiny terrier that got caught by a large sheep dog several times. She only ever had one or two pups everytime. The vet said it was because her body would only ever allow as many puppies survive as her body could take, her body will always choose her over the puppies.

Bring her to the vet and keep an eye on her and she should do fine if you do not find a vet to get rid of the pups or if you choose to leave the pregnancy, there is also a chance the pups will not go to term IF her body cannot take it. It all depends on her bodys own limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Any operation has it's risks but having it sounds like she could only just have been mating so she is barely pregnant. Have her spayed, most vets actually don't mind spaying a pregnant cat or dog (at least the ones I've dealt with).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My dog had to be neutered after getting caught by a large dog in heat (shes a Yorkie), the vets refused to do it too long after the act occurs but a good vet will wait at least 2 weeks after the heat is finished as her blood levels are all over the place. Otherwise you could lose her too

Advertisement