Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a motorhome from a private owner

Options
  • 31-12-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Is it possible to rent a motorhome/camper from a private owner in Ireland ? Do insurance policies allow this ?
    Any advice will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Normally your private insurance specifies that it does not cover use of the motorhome for reward or hire. I guess that means you cant rent it out to people on private insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 le francais

Thanks for reply - I am Irish and live near Paris, I have a motorhome that I rent out occasionally, my insurance policy allows me do this - with certain conditions of course. The income helps pay for the camper.
    I have had family and friends ask if it would be possible to do the same in Ireland - seems not from your post.
    Are all insurance companies the same ?
    In France this private rental is getting very common, estimated approx 2000 owners do this

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

*Kol* wrote: »
    I guess that means you cant rent it out to people on your private insurance.
    I'd imagine it's OK if you have the driver arrange his own insurance for it. But of course that means trusting that he's done this right. Otherwise you'd have to ring your insurance company and get it changed to allow use for reward...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I think that you would find it hard/expensive to get insurance on a motorhome for a short period of time. There are so few companies offering MH insurance.

Advertisement