Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Entitlements

Options
  • 31-12-2008 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to think I'm being taken for a fool where I work. I work in a pub Sunday to Thursday. All public holidays are non existing to me. Bank Holiday Mondays are just a normal Monday. No extra pay, no extra day holiday.
    Over the Christmas I worked Chrismas Eve, St. Stephens Day and will get nothing for it.
    Also I get 12 days a year paid off but if I have sick day, thats taken from my holidays.

How does this sound to everyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Very dodgy. You work a 5 day week. What does your contract say about all of this, or were you ever given one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

The annual leave sounds very low to me, but I guess it depends on the hours that you work, even still though 12 days sounds low.....................

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays

and here:

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/annual_leave.pdf

which states:
    Under the Act the minimum holiday entitlements for
    employees was increased on a phased basis from the leave year
    1997/98 to the leave year 1999/2000. The minimum holiday
    entitlements for employees who work at least 1,365 hours per
    year was increased from 3 weeks to 4 weeks with pro-rata
    increases for other employees starting on April 1st 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 angrycommuter80

Annual Leave - You are entitled to a minimum of 20 days holidays per year( some companies give more) based on your contracted hours or hours worked per week. How many hours are you working per week?

Public Holidays

There are nine public holidays each year:
    1. New Year’s Day
    2. St. Patrick’s Day
    3. Easter Monday
    4. The first Monday in May
    5. The first Monday in June
    6. The first Monday in August
    7. The last Monday in October
    8. Christmas Day
    9. St. Stephen’s Day
    If the holiday falls on a day on which you normally work, you are entitled to either:
    • A paid day off on the holiday
    • A paid day off within a month
    • An extra day’s pay
    • An extra day’s annual leave
    If the public holiday falls on a day on which you do not normally work, then you are entitled to one fifth of your normal weekly wage for that day.
    If you are asked to work on the public holiday, then you are entitled to either;
    • An additional day’s pay
    • A paid day off within a month of the day
    • An additional day of paid annual leave
    Part-time employees qualify for public holiday entitlement provided they have worked at least 40 hours during the five weeks ending on the day before a public holiday.

In regards to sick leave an employer is not require to pay an employee for sick leave. However they cannot take this out of your annual leave day without discussing with you. You should have this sick day as an unpaid work day not a paid annual leave day.

Advertisement