Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS - LC requirements

Options
  • 30-12-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am applying to some colleges in Scotland through UCAS, though I am confused, one of the courses I'm applying to has this as a requirement:

Irish Leaving Certificate
    Acceptability Acceptable on its own & combined with other qualifications
    Subjects and grades required BCCC including Mathematics

Now, I'm wondering are those grades for higher level only, as I sometimes see other courses saying that you must have certain grades at a higher level. As I have two C's at honours level, and and A and a B in ordinary level.

Also, I'm in a one year course, and have some FETAC and another exam, I have put the on the UCAS, could these go in my favour, say if I don't get the min requirements on the leaving cert side of things?

Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

the bccc means higher level and thats all i can help ya wit sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Tim131

Mr.S wrote: »
    It depends on the university, some accept ordinary level subjects and some just want higher.

But the offer you see on the ucas/univeristy site is just a general indication, it could be completely different when you get an offer later on as UCAS is not all about grades, its about how you come across etc. Also even if you dont get what you they want in the offer, they still might accept you.

Anything postive is good on your UCAS application, so yeah it would be a good thing to have the FETAC and other exam down, also make sure you write a good personal statement (if you need help go to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134 and make a account and post in the area your course is in).

Goodluck!

Thanks mate, thats cleared a lot up!

I've almost finished the personal statement, posted it up on the site you provided, and I'll see what they have to say ;)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

When I rang up colleges during clearing last year they asked for my LC results but then calculated my results into Tariff points. From that they gave a yes or no answer.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#ilc

If you go to the college requirements and it gives you tariff points you can work out if you have enough. What happened with me is that for a number of courses I had enough points but because I took the leaving cert 8 years ago they couldn't accept it! Study had to be in the last 2-5 years.

It really depends on the university. I would contact the universities directly and see what they say. They were very good at getting back to me quickly. You're not a school leaver so your application might be treated differently.

Advertisement