Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog Venum???

Options
  • 30-12-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

A stray cat arrived at our house just over a year ago not in the best condition but we kind of adopted him and he turned into a beautiful happy healthy cat. However just over a week ago he went missing or so we thought. Unfortunately my mother found him dead yesterday under a bush very close to our house. He was always an outdoor cat so it definatley wasn't the cold that killed him and there were no physical marks to indicate injury like getting hit by a car or attacked by another animal.

A couple of days before he went missing he brought a frog home as they do, the frog was still alive so I just let it go far away from the cat. I was just wondering if anyone knows if frogs excreate(sp) any kind of venum when being attacked that may have poisioned the cat.

I have googled it but everything seems to relate to frogs or toads in the US or Oz but nothing to do with frogs in Ireland. It may be along shot but we are just trying to find out what happened as we were getting attached to him.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

what colour was the frog?, was it a bright red and pitch black colour?
    but seriously
    irish frogs dont have venom/poison but they do carry parasite's which i seriously doudt would kill a cat unless its already in a weakened state or had a compromised immune (the recent weather could have weaked its immune system)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My cat catches frogs all the time and he has never had a minutes trouble so I'd rule that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No the frog would not have killed the cat - they do have a foul tasting substance they can excrete from the skin - but its not poisonous.

If you really think the cats been poisoned I would suspect a neighbour has maybe put poison down to kill rats or mice & the poor cat may have eaten a dead rat/mouse.

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

tallus wrote: »
    My cat catches frogs all the time and he has never had a minutes trouble so I'd rule that out.

We've had cats for years and they have brought back ever animal imaginable but never frogs so I wasn't to sure. Could have been poison put down in some of the fields I suppose, was just curious.

Thanks for the replies and Happy New Year to you all.
    LL

Advertisement