Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock up your rabbits!

Options
  • 30-12-2008 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Heard today that a rabbit was stolen from it's hutch in Arklow. This is the second time I've heard of this happening in Arklow, and I'm not around very often. I won't even go into what I think about people who steal rabbits. Can I just warn Arklow rabbit owners, if you keep your rabbits in a hutch it might be an idea to put a lock on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

If it's possible I would bring them inside a shed or your house all together, if someone really wanted to get into your rabbits hutch they would easily get passed the lock, rip the mesh off or something else depending on the make of your rabbits hutch. People who do that are sick and it's obvious they aren't taking the rabbit to keep it as a pet, probably using them to train greyhounds or hunting dogs or for themselves to hunt, you just don't know what some of the sickos could have in mind.

There was a big thing in Germany where someone was going around be-heading rabbits. Opening hutches or going into sheds and be-heading rabbits and leaving them there. They even went as far as be-heading rabbits and leaving them in a sand box at a school for the kids to discover the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I'd doubt they would steal someones pet with all the wild rabbits about.

Would a live one even be used in the initial stages of training?

I'd say its the same sickos that throw fireworks at animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Would a live one even be used in the initial stages of training?

Ya, some greyhound owners would use live rabbits, I know my neighbour who has greyhounds buys rabbits that ''mysteriously dissapear'' every couple of weeks, great way to keep his dogs fit, let off the rabbit and the dogs run after it and rip it apart :(. It could also be someone that stole the rabbit just for the fun of it, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I'd say its the same sickos that throw fireworks at animals.

If that's a reference to a particular Arklow Halloween incident, I was thinking the same thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

That's horrible. I mentioned in a previous thread about pets being stolen from people's garden's on Christmas in wicklow, it's a very disturbing trend. It's not only for the poor pet sake (what happens to them I don't want to imagine) and the loss of your pet, but it's also the feeling of your privacy being comprimised - a place that you think should be secure being violated.

My friend's dog was stolen, but dumped and returned, thank god, but she had met others in the garda station that haven't been so forunate. And the amount of stolen / missing cats has also jumped in wicklow. The rabbit thing is news to me, and it's sad that it's happening, but I'm very glad to know.

As it's new years eve, and many people will be heading down to the pub or out to parties, please make sure your pets are as safe as possible! Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year for all boardies and their pets!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

There was a big thing in Germany where someone was going around be-heading rabbits. Opening hutches or going into sheds and be-heading rabbits and leaving them there. They even went as far as be-heading rabbits and leaving them in a sand box at a school for the kids to discover the next day.

Evil (^%%$£!!:eek:

Advertisement