Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turks & Caicos Bar?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im currently studying law in Griffith College and since my degree is classed as an LLB and from Notingham Trent University (although the degree is "Irish Law") do I need to take part in another Bar exam for the Turks & Caicos islands? (which is still a British Territory)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

Why not just ask [SNIPPED] Edit: Someone who might know?? Or email the Dean of Nottingham Trent Uni? Why ask on a message board for people's opinions and assumptions when you could get a veracious response from the above just as easily?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ah the lucrative Turks & Caicos Bar that every young lawyer aspires to.

You can ask their bar association about it:

Link

By the way, Law in Griffith is not recognised as a professional qualification, so you would probably have to sit a bar exam as well i.e. Law in Griffith does not count as passing a bar exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭maidhc

I never heard of the place nor heard it mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a common law tax haven in the Caribbean, would love to work there. Have a mate in the Caymans, he earns a very good wage, all tax free of course, loads of sunshine, apartment on the beach...you get the idea! It's tough to get a job though, most of the Caribbean islands have a very protectionist immigration regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

You can ask their bar association about it:

Link

By the way, Law in Griffith is not recognised as a professional qualification, so you would probably have to sit a bar exam as well i.e. Law in Griffith does not count as passing a bar exam.

Funny, just the other day I saw an ad in the Gazette looking for a lawyer there. Futher investigation revealed that the firm in question had an Irish partner. Could be a nice place to sit out the recession :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have a very close family relative there with his own firm so actually getting a job over there wouldnt be an issue! Im gonna email the Bar and see what the story is!Cheers for the link johnnyskeleton!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any chance you would bring my CV with you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hogzy wrote: »
    I have a very close family relative there with his own firm so actually getting a job over there wouldnt be an issue! Im gonna email the Bar and see what the story is!Cheers for the link johnnyskeleton!!!

Surely your close family relative with a firm there would be a better person to ask than an internet messageboard?

Advertisement