Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal O'Shannon - Telling Tales (on RTE now)

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Lovely documentary on RTE right now (well I'm enjoying it anyway!) about Cathal O'Shannon, ex Irish Times, RTE & BBC journalist. (He interviewed Muhammed Ali when he was in Dublin, I think)

Anyone else watching it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've just finished watching it. Good documentary about a very interesting man.

I came away from it thinking it was an awful pity that he didn't get to do that documentary on the Irish civil war and then left RTÉ. Just think what other documentaries he could have done back in the 70s and 80s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I liked it a lot. Cathal O'Shannon is a very interesting man and it was good to hear more about his own life. Did he ever have kids at all? Wouldn't it be great to have a dad like that who was so into history and current affairs.

I remember the Emmet Dalton program on TV. It was fascinating to hear about Michael Collins' assassination from an eye witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember his documentry about the spanish civil war ' Even the olives are bleeding ' from many years ago on RTE .Think it might even have won an internation award .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I only caught the last 20 mins of it and was so disappointed to have missed the rest of it. He has a way of making things interesting and it was good to get a glimpse of his own life.

He certainly has a sharp mind for an 80/81 year old and comes across as someone you'd love to sit and listen to all night.

I hope they repeat it sometime soon, at least it would be a better repeat than some of the sh1te that they repeat.

Advertisement