Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkshire Terrier

Options
  • 29-12-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I have a little yorkie a couple of weeks now, she is 4 and I took her in through friends of ben, we have completely fallen in love withher, the last few days while our 2 yr old has been ill she has spent the entire days sitting by her side, refusing to leave her.

Anyway my problem is that the only thing I can get her to eat is my stew... and a little of tesco food. no pedigree, no ceasar, no dry food, I even went to lidl and bought some of their food just in case. I know she is tiny and wouldnt eat much but when she hadnt eaten any food today I put down a half a burger on top of her food and she wolfed it but left all the dog food....

Any recommendations would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Welcome to being wrapped around a little paw :D

Just don't give in. Offer what you intend to feed her at intended feeding times, leave it for a few minutes and then take it away again.

She will eat once she's hungry enough and realises that the burger days are over.

She can well go without food for a day or two while this is dawning on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks peasant, I would be afraid of starving the little thing. I have been just leaving it out for her all day so I will do that and see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The lesson becomes much clearer once the food disappears. Leaving it there in plain view doesn't quite convey the same sense of urgency.
    Also taking the food away makes it clear that it is YOU who has control over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cairns

it could be that her previous owner fed her the barf diet which is a raw food diet and dogs who are fed this will automatically turn up there nose at dried food. It sounds like she has always been fed on a non dog food diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yeah I thought that too, now I mean she has good taste if she eats my stew...... ah no she's eaten chips off the floor when the kids have dropped them and robbed food from their hands which I am quickly stopping her from doing so I reckon it could possibly be exactly that. I just want to ensure she gets the best as she is a little dote, I suppose I might go and get the burns from the vets. DO I need to add oil to that for her coat though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

My Yorkie died aged 16 recently. SHe was the tiniest thing i had ever seen. And for her size and breed i believe that was a good age. Seriously she would fit in one hand.

Anyway she never ate dogfood a day in her life. She ate human food and was healthy as anything. She would literally eat anything the children ate, potatoes and veg, weetabix, even baby food. i am sure had they been eating dog food she would have devoured it. :D

My current dog hates dogfood but like Peasant says he eats it when he realises he is not getting anything else! I do give him human food as well though.

Dunno if its the breed (although current breed is not a yorkie just a terrier) or just pampered pooches. Apparently its not healthy for them? I dunno if thats true but tbh it never did her any harm and thats the truth.

Advertisement