Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bit wife - what to do?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭

OK, to cut a VERY long story short, our dog got into a fight with the neighbours dog. My wife put her hand in and got bitten by our dog.

Should we just take this as a lesson not to get involved with two dogs fighting OR does it mean he is aggressive?

BTW, this is the first time in 9 months he got into the neighbours garden through a hole in the fence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im sure the dog was only caught in the moment. Nothing to worry about. I wouldnt go mad and get him put down if thats what your asking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im sure the dog was only caught in the moment. Nothing to worry about. I wouldnt go mad and get him put down if thats what your asking

Yes, was thinking the same. Just wanted to find out if this is a semi regular occurrence with dog owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As distressing as it is to get bitten, I would definitely not see this as human agression, when they're in a fight, they don't know what they're biting, so I'm sure he didn't mean it. It is quite difficult to break up a dog fight 'properly' because you shouldn't put your hands or feet anywhere near the dogs, you also shouldn't lift one of the dogs up away from the other one, that will expose their underside. If you can get a stick, and put it under the collar of the dog on top and then twist it, so that it tightens and they have to let go of the other dog to catch breathe I've found is the best way. Alternatively, throwing a bucket of water over them is also good. You don't always have a full bucket of water to hand of course:D Trying to get anything, like a bike etc between them is also effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

arctictree wrote: »
    OK, to cut a VERY long story short, our dog got into a fight with the neighbours dog. My wife put her hand in and got bitten by our dog.

Should we just take this as a lesson not to get involved with two dogs fighting OR does it mean he is aggressive?

BTW, this is the first time in 9 months he got into the neighbours garden through a hole in the fence.

Fix the fence, kiss the wife, pat the dog, forget about it. (in that order)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It was stupid of her to try to pull apart two dogs.
    A lot of dogs would have reacted in the same way.

She'll know better next time I guess :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Never ever a good idea to try to intervene between fighting dogs. It's asking for trouble, as your wife found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

did the dog turn to your wife and bit her or did she put her hands between the two dogs and got bitten? if the first case then I would be concerned as it could be redirected aggression and sooner or later it will be a problem for you, if the second case then sorry not the dog's fault, i am sure the dog did not mean to bite anyone other than the other dog and your wife just shouldn't have done that.
    I speak by experience as I did the same some time ago and got bitten by my labrador while trying to stop a fight. I learned my lesson i have to say. I also learned that the best way to separate a dog from a fight is by pulling him by his back legs...which works if there is some one else pulling the other dog on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am 100% with Peasant on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

OMG... I agree with Peasant...

/looks out window to see if pigs are flying! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

. . . as peasant said . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

peasant wrote: »
    Fix the fence, kiss the wife, pat the dog, forget about it. (in that order)
    however, if it happens again you may that to think strongly about gettin rid of the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Never ever try to breakup a dog fight with your bare hands! I don't know about pulling their hind legs but what I was told time and time again that the best way is to get a bucket of cold water and splash it on the dogs. Where we can get the bucket of cold water from when time is so precious I don't know but that was what I was told. When in a fight a dog has just one thing on it's mind and won't know who or what it has bitten. Is this your first dog? I actually though all dog owners knew never to break a fight by jumping in the middle kinda? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have also been advised on the pulling by the hind quarters - basically grabbing you dog & pulling it back away from the other dog.

This was taught in puppy training class, and works well if dogs start showing aggression to each other.
    However, as stated, you need the other dog to either be on a lead or being pulled away on the other side by its owner.

Luckily I've never had to do it other than practice in the class, but we were told very firmly, never put your hands between tow dogs showing aggression to each other. Its a bit obvious, but possibly not so when your beloved pet is getting attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

winston82 wrote: »
    however, if it happens again you may that to think strongly about gettin rid of the wife

LOL

I'm guilty of doing this, intervening. Very stupid and very dangerous but sometimes a natural reaction when someone you love is being attacked. Its not the dogs fault at all they are in fight mode defending themselves etc they dont do it consciously.

If you ever tried to break up 2 humans fighting you would probably end up getting punched in the process :eek:

Advertisement