Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting landscapes, some discussion (split off from elsewhere)

Options
  • 29-12-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

CabanSail wrote: »
    Get a Tripod & a load of patience for doing some landscapes.
    Not started on Landscapes yet but why lots of patience for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

.... but why lots of patience for this?

I give you a hint - clouds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

ThOnda wrote: »
    I give you a hint - clouds :pac:
    But I assume you're on about major clouding, I see lots of small attractive clouds in peoples landscape shots, I have even copped on that those white sky days are useless for shooting in, especially if you struggle with burnout.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's not just clouds. It's how light falls. How shadows fall.

I'll give you an example:

Dollymount Strand, December 2003.

11390317_80870fd530_o.jpg

Photograph taken with an OM10, probably a 35-105mm Tamron zoom and you'll be asking a lot for the aperture. The shot is probably under exposed a stop based on what I used to do with that camera, a lot. Handheld, however.

It's one of about 4 shots taken around that time. I was on the beach for two or three hours that day, freezing, and I waited, and waited, and waited, I think 1 hour for the sun to go down behind one of the towers. POssibly if I'd walked up to the southeast, I might have got it spat between the towards but I also think I was running out of beach very fast because what I do remember about that day as well is that my feet got wet as I wound up in 3 inches of water by the time I could eventually take the shot.

Clouds give texture to a sky, and I will often weight for them to move in a particular way. Blown out white skies still allow you to take landscape shots if you have enough of interest in the foreground of the photograph. Have a look at some of Andy McInroy's stuff (hello Andy, where have you been lately?) - he uses ND filters a lot too.

Again much depends on what you can see.

Wow my very own Mod created thread!
    :swoon:

:)

/point taken, it seems not my type of thing, I barely have patience to tie my laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That what I was talking about. The environment changes so quickly and slowly in the same time. The best are big patches of clouds that move sideways. The change the sun, shadows on the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

We went out yesterday at 9am and didn't get home until 7pm. All for about 10 shots. There's some days when you head out and you just don't get the exact light you're looking for. Also the location needs to be ideal for sunrises/sunsets. So yes you need patience and coming into the Spring/Summer you need to be up early too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Tripod is essential for landscape photography, as is patience and persistence.

Landscape photography is what I love to do. I have lost count of the amount of times I have arrived under torch light to locations for a picture I want. However it is Ireland we live in so Mother nature doesn't always play ball. When this happens I keep returning time and time again the picture I want. Take the following image for example. Getting this shot meant leaving at 4 a.m, driving for an hour on four mornings in a row. Two of those mornings I got soaked, and 20 minutes after the shot was taken the clouds had rolled in for the day.

However when it all comes together it is a feeling that is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Take the following image for example. Getting this shot meant leaving at 4 a.m, driving for an hour on four mornings in a row. Two of those mornings I got soaked, and 20 minutes after the shot was taken the clouds had rolled in for the day.

That's something else, fair play. Only one thing comes to mind :p

Lovely shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I expect my tripod to arrive on the 5th, the main reason I bought it was for landscapes. Can't wait to catch a few sunsets/rises. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Tripod is essential for landscape photography, as is patience and persistence.

Landscape photography is what I love to do. I have lost count of the amount of times I have arrived under torch light to locations for a picture I want. However it is Ireland we live in so Mother nature doesn't always play ball. When this happens I keep returning time and time again the picture I want. Take the following image for example. Getting this shot meant leaving at 4 a.m, driving for an hour on four mornings in a row. Two of those mornings I got soaked, and 20 minutes after the shot was taken the clouds had rolled in for the day.

And can I just say, having looked through your galleries, that it was time well spent !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Great Thread. AR:). I think one of the reasons a lot of people get into photography is for landscapes.I am one person who didnt start taking photos of landscapes but because I was P.R.O of a football club and the local paper wanted photos but in time I found myself looking at things differently. Ireland is so beautiful in so many different ways and different areas offer different challenges. I have not sat arund to often for hours but have on many occasions returned to an area for a shot I like. I have had a few early starts looking for a particular shot and it was worth the effort. I start work at 6.45 so up an hour earlier is not too bad, IF the light is good. Relaxation not patience is how I see it. As for the Tri-pod I never leave home without it. Sorry for going on.
    Houseoffun14 that shot was worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Its all about timing and patience AR, this is your NEW New Years resolution: 'chase the light'
    ie.
    during the day:
    A54C219EF5374DEA97FA743AEF20444D-500.jpg

at sunrise:
    90B972794EC34A758F0C5B5B65BA0986-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That dawn shot is fantastic.

Its all about timing and patience AR,
    I can't even hold a Pint for than 20 minutes without running out of patience and finishing it. :(

Advertisement